1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing waves

1. May 28, 2006 #1
    Sir,
    I have some doubts regarding standing waves. Can anyone who is online now clear my doubts?
    For the production of standing waves should the 2 interfering waves have the same amplitude, should they be in phase, should they have the same frequency and velocity? I have this doubt because each book states different conditions.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Hopefully this helps -
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/waves/standw.html

The amplitude need not be the same, but the wavelengths (frequency) would be, so this also infers the same wave velocity, since the interfering waves must be in phase temporally.

4. May 28, 2006 #3
    Sir,
    I didn’t understand one thing. You said that the waves will be in phase temporarily. Could u please explain it in detail? Also,can standing waves be produced by the interference of 2 waves of same frequency moving in opposite directions having a constant phase difference? If Yes,will this initial phase difference be maintained always?

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  5. May 28, 2006 #4
  6. May 29, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

No, I said "the waves will be in phase temporally". Temporally is an adverb meaning with respect to time, or in time.

Standing waves must be in phase, inedependent of time, which means that they must have the same wavelength AND speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?