Exploring Standing Waves and Their Properties

In summary: Thanks for catching that. :)In summary, amplitude can refer to two different things: the maximum amplitude of oscillation of any point on the wave, or the amount of oscillation at a given point.
GAGS
Hi all,actually i want to discuss about standing wave. Its little bit confusing to me.As a simple defintion,when two waves of equal amplitude travel in opposite direction then what the resultant wave,for which there is no propagation of energy is called standing waves.
But another property says that amplitude at each point in space stays constant and more the amplitude,more intense is the wave.Now question arises,If we are getting zero amplitude by superposition of 2 waves of equal amplitude,then what type of amplitude that is being discussed here. and we are saying that that all points have zero amplitude then how could we relate the intensity to amplitude.
Please reply,hope you have understand the question.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is a bit vague. If you are getting an amplitude of zero after superposition of two waves of equal amplitude, that means the two waves are exactly out of phase: the peaks cancel out the troughs exactly, like in the second (right-most) image here:
Interference_of_two_waves.png

If this is the case, there is no resultant sound wave and you cannot speak of its intensity.

There are two ways in which the word "amplitude" can be used in a standing wave. First, each point on the wave oscillates with some amplitude, which varies from one position to another along the wave. This amplitude is zero at a node and maximum at an antinode. Second, the standing wave as a whole has an amplitude which is the maximum amplitude of oscillation of any point on the wave, i.e. the amplitude at a node. [added: oops, I should have said "antinode" here.]

Last edited:
Hi jtbell,thanks for your response,but it is still confusing.On one side you said that amplitude is zero at a node and maximum at an antinode. On other side you said that ,the standing wave as a whole has an amplitude which is the maximum amplitude of oscillation, i.e. the amplitude at a node.
So kindly can you differentiate this.

I am pretty sure jtbell means the maximum amplitude of oscillation is at an antinode.

Oops yes, I meant the amplitude at an antinode. :blushing:

1. What are standing waves and how are they formed?

Standing waves are a type of wave that occurs when two waves with the same wavelength and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. They are formed when the reflected wave from a fixed end meets the incident wave from a source, causing the wave to appear as though it is standing still.

2. What are the properties of standing waves?

Standing waves have several key properties, including nodes and antinodes, which are points of no displacement and maximum displacement, respectively. They also have a fixed wavelength and frequency, and the amplitude varies along the length of the wave.

3. How do standing waves differ from traveling waves?

The main difference between standing waves and traveling waves is that standing waves do not transfer energy from one point to another, while traveling waves do. Standing waves also have fixed nodes and antinodes, while traveling waves do not.

4. How are standing waves used in real-world applications?

Standing waves have many practical applications, such as in musical instruments, where they create distinct harmonics and produce different pitches. They are also used in medical imaging, such as ultrasound, to create images of internal structures in the body.

5. How can the properties of standing waves be manipulated?

The properties of standing waves can be manipulated by changing the length, tension, or density of the medium in which the waves are traveling. For example, in a guitar, the length of the string can be changed to produce different harmonics and pitches.