1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing Waves

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the first harmonic, with length L, of a certain standing wave, what is the process for coming up with the next 3 harmonics for it?

2. Relevant equations
    velocity = wavelength * frequency

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand how to draw the "next harmonic". I've come up with a formula for wavlenth of the first harmonic:
    = (4/3)L
    and with that, frequency
    = (3v)/(4L)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2
    Take a butchers at this...

http://id.mind.net/~zona/mstm/physics/waves/standingWaves/standingWaves1/StandingWaves1.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 7, 2009 #3

AEM

Well, for a standing wave the ends are fixed and therefore are nodes. In a sinusoidal wave the nodes are half a wavelength apart. In a string of length L, standing vibrations may be set up by different frequencies that give rise to waves that will have nodes at the endpoints. These wave will have wavelengths,

[tex] \lambda = 2L, \frac{2L}{2}, \frac{2L}{3},..., \frac{2l}{n} [/tex]

The wave speed c is the same for all frequencies, and as you say, [tex] c = f \lambda [/tex]

This should be enough for you to deduce the frequencies and the wavelengths of the harmonics (or overtones as they are sometimes called).

5. Feb 7, 2009 #4
    So as I've said that the wavelength of the first harmonic =(4/3)L, that means the wavelength of the second harmonic
    = (4/3)L / n = (4/3)L / 2 = (2/3) L

Is this right?

By the way, the wave has a node at one end and is open at the other. In class we learned that standing waves with one open/one fixed end have only odd numbered harmonics. Why is this?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook