Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing waves?

1. Apr 23, 2005 #1
    I am reading an article on black holes and they state, "Now what kinds of waves are possible inside a black hole? The answer is standing waves, waves that "fit" inside the black hole with a node at the event horizon."

Can anyone explain to me why they know the answer is standing waves, and what do they mean when they say they "fit" inside the black hole??
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2
    Hummm I think they mean electromagnetic waves particles such as photons are not able to leave the black hole since even at the speed of light it cannot escape the tremendous gravity. For the fitting, I have at the moment no idea.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  4. Apr 25, 2005 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Any specific solution to a DE (in this case the wave equation) depends on the boundary conditions.

Since information cannot escape from a black hole, waves themselves may not escape from a black hole. The event horizon (i.e. the boundary of the black hole) must therefore be fixed at zero for all time.

The solution to such problems is a standing wave, as any 'non' standing wave violates this boundary condition.

5. Apr 26, 2005 #4
    That makes things much clearer. Thanks Calude Bile.
  6. Apr 27, 2005 #5
    But surely the geometry inside a black hole is so messed up we can't even think about standing waves within them? The geometry of a singular point with infinite density. Hmmm, nice.
  7. Apr 27, 2005 #6

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

The Black Hole is not just a singularity, it is has a finite volume that is the region of space where light cannot escape from its embrace. I see no reason why laws of physics cannot be applied to this space.

The singularity itself is a different matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?