1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing Waves

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    I have two questions regarding Standing Waves.

[i.] Suppose two speakers face each other with 'x' distance between them. They have = frequency. If i were told to find the points of minimum or maximum interference (or sound pressure amplitude) between the speakers, what excactly am i calculating for?

I understand that we could solve for wavelength (since we have the average speed of sound and frequency). Then, since we also have a distance for the sound wave to travel, we could find the number of wavelengths in that distance. But what now? I rejected my initial idea that the points of minimums are the nodes. So where are they?

[ii.] Two wave equations are available, differing only in direction. They both have 'y', 'x' and 't' variables. To find the "maximum position of an element in the medium" at e.g. x=1cm, i believe i would calculate for y when x = 1cm. But what should 't' equal? EQuating t to 0 produces the correct answer, but why??

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2005 #2
    ?

---------------------

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?