Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star catalogues

1. Jul 21, 2006 #1
    I'm wanting to look at a bright star catalogue and I've been told to use something pronounced as visy-ar. I've typed 'visear', 'visiar' and some other spellings in google and can't find the site. Does anyone know the link at all and how the name of this database is actually spelled?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2006 #2

nazzard

Gold Member

4. Jul 21, 2006 #3
    Thank You!!!

That is indeed it. Now I can just hope that this 'star-hopping' method using nearby bright stars will help me in identifying fainter stars using star maps.

Really appreciate your help

5. Jul 21, 2006 #4
    Hi Soilwork,
    I wouldn't recommend a site like vizier for learning star-hopping. It's aimed more towards the professionals. For your purpose, a star-charting program should do fine. I can say only good things about Cartes du Ciel.

6. Jul 22, 2006 #5
    Thanks for suggesting that. I will give it a go and see if it works.

As of now though I'm having huge trouble finding ~10 V. magnitude stars using the star maps and because the telescope isn't reliable in pointing absolutely accurately, the stars never appear in the FOV of the camera. Another problem is the re-focusing when switching between eyepiece and camera, which seems to knock the stars out of the FOV of the camera.

It's getting quite frustrating and I'd appreciate if anyone had any tips.
    I was told that a flip mirror could be used, but at the same time I was told that it isn't that great. I mean the people I know aren't particularly experts, but they are getting me involved in observing and so all my information comes from conversations with them. So if any of you could verify the flip mirror suggestion I'd be greatful too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?