Searching for Visyar Bright Star Catalogue: Help Needed!

• Thread starter Soilwork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary, individuals in need of assistance with searching for the VizieR Bright Star Catalogue can find support through various resources such as online forums, user guides, and tutorials. The VizieR Bright Star Catalogue is a database containing information on millions of stars, and users can search for specific stars based on various criteria. Additionally, there are tips and tricks available to help improve the search process and make the most out of the catalogue's vast data. Seeking help and utilizing available resources can greatly enhance the efficiency and accuracy of one's search for stars in the VizieR Bright Star Catalogue.
Soilwork
I'm wanting to look at a bright star catalogue and I've been told to use something pronounced as visy-ar. I've typed 'visear', 'visiar' and some other spellings in google and can't find the site. Does anyone know the link at all and how the name of this database is actually spelled?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thank You!

That is indeed it. Now I can just hope that this 'star-hopping' method using nearby bright stars will help me in identifying fainter stars using star maps.

Really appreciate your help

Hi Soilwork,
I wouldn't recommend a site like vizier for learning star-hopping. It's aimed more towards the professionals. For your purpose, a star-charting program should do fine. I can say only good things about http://www.stargazing.net/astropc" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for suggesting that. I will give it a go and see if it works.

As of now though I'm having huge trouble finding ~10 V. magnitude stars using the star maps and because the telescope isn't reliable in pointing absolutely accurately, the stars never appear in the FOV of the camera. Another problem is the re-focusing when switching between eyepiece and camera, which seems to knock the stars out of the FOV of the camera.

It's getting quite frustrating and I'd appreciate if anyone had any tips.
I was told that a flip mirror could be used, but at the same time I was told that it isn't that great. I mean the people I know aren't particularly experts, but they are getting me involved in observing and so all my information comes from conversations with them. So if any of you could verify the flip mirror suggestion I'd be greatful too.

1. What is the Visyar Bright Star Catalogue?

The Visyar Bright Star Catalogue is a comprehensive list of bright stars in the night sky, compiled by the Visyar Institute of Astronomy. It includes information such as the star's name, location, brightness, and other relevant data.

2. Why is the search for the Visyar Bright Star Catalogue important?

The search for the Visyar Bright Star Catalogue is important because it allows astronomers to accurately locate and study bright stars in the night sky. This information can be used for various research purposes, such as understanding star formation and evolution.

3. How can I access the Visyar Bright Star Catalogue?

The Visyar Bright Star Catalogue can be accessed online through various astronomy databases and websites. It is also available in print form for purchase.

4. What are the challenges in searching for the Visyar Bright Star Catalogue?

The main challenge in searching for the Visyar Bright Star Catalogue is the vast amount of data that needs to be sorted and analyzed. This requires advanced technology and specialized knowledge in astronomy and data analysis.

5. How can I contribute to the search for the Visyar Bright Star Catalogue?

If you are interested in contributing to the search for the Visyar Bright Star Catalogue, you can support organizations and institutions involved in astronomy research. You can also participate in citizen science projects that involve classifying and identifying stars in the night sky.