Astronomy Project Ideas: Star Collision & More!

In summary, the topic given by the teacher is star collision in astronomy and the project requires both data collection and practical work. Some suggestions for practical work include building a telescope, observing the transit of Venus, measuring the rotation rates of the Sun, calculating the speed of light, studying cosmic rays, and observing meteor shower rates. Shooting a balloon with an air gun is not related to star collision. Some possible outcomes of a star collision include the formation of a new star with a different life cycle and fate, enormous energy release, and the potential for a supernova and black hole.
BlackJack
I've got a question about astronomy and star collision :

I have to make a project about a topic (in astronomy) which takes about half a year. Now one point is that you can't just collect data and write a a text about that. You also have to do some practical work. No first I wanted to choose star collision but I don't know what i could do for that (practical work ) ? Or do you guys know any good but not to complicated topics for a project in astronomy ?

thx

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If it includes practical work, then many areas of astronomy are no good to you. Also, replications of 'Stellar events' can't simply be done in a lab.

How about building a telescope yourself? Loads of good Physics there..

Or devising a good way to view the transit of Venus acros the Sun in June? (I think it is in June)

Measuring the rotation rates of the Sun? Seeing how they change over the period of a year? There's a link in another post on this board (or is it somewhere else in PF).

Calculating the speed of light from timing of Jovian satellite phenomena?

Statistics on cosmic rays (build a cloud chamber first)?

Lunar and asteroid occultations (working out how to make unbiassed determinations of the time of the event is not at all trivial)?

Meteor shower rates (build an all-sky camera, attach a webcam, record the results, do the analyses)?

Well the topic was given by the teacher. Star collision.

We know that we can't make a good reconstruction of the real thing, but shooting a balloon with a air gun should be okay ^^.

My question was more if you know any good links about star collision or what could I else do for this topic

just saw there is also a topic in the stellar part was that really me ?

Last edited:
Originally posted by BlackJack
Well the topic was given by the teacher. Star collision.

We know that we can't make a good reconstruction of the real thing, but shooting a balloon with a air gun should be okay ^^.

My question was more if you know any good links about star collision or what could I else do for this topic

just saw there is also a topic in the stellar part was that really me ?

Shooting a balloon with an airgun may be fun, but it has not a thing to do with star collision.

The "practical work" could be in the form of a presentation(perhaps an animation if you are computer savvy.)

Personally, I haven't heard much about star collisions but there a couple things you could easily infer.

A. The mass of the combined stars will be much greater and thus, if a stable star is in fact formed out of their union, the life cycle and eventual fate of the new star will be different from either of the two that formed it.

B. The energy released from such a collision would no doubt be enormous. All life within many lightyears would be devastated.

C. If a stable star is formed it could now have enough mass to go supernova at the end of its lifecycle and leave a black hole behind.

1. What is a star collision?

A star collision, also known as a stellar merger, occurs when two stars come into close proximity and their gravitational forces cause them to merge together. This can result in a larger, more massive star or even the formation of a new type of star.

2. How can we observe or study star collisions?

We can study star collisions through various methods, such as using telescopes to observe changes in brightness and spectra, analyzing the gravitational waves produced, and studying the remnants of the collision through X-ray or radio telescopes.

3. What are some potential impacts of a star collision?

A star collision can have various impacts depending on the size and type of stars involved. It can result in the formation of new stars, influence the evolution of nearby stars, and even cause the ejection of material that can form new planets.

4. Can we predict when a star collision will occur?

Currently, we do not have the technology to accurately predict when a star collision will occur. However, with the advancement of technology and continued research, we may be able to predict and observe more star collisions in the future.

5. How can we use the study of star collisions to learn more about the universe?

The study of star collisions can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of stars, as well as the processes that drive the universe. It can also help us understand the origins of elements and the role of gravity in shaping the universe.