Star-Delta Connection: Benefits & Explanation

• Thread starter ranju
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary: Not quite clear to what you are referring to -with the "delta-star connection on distribution side" but typically the Star connection ( with a neutral) is on the Source side of the network connection making it the "secondary" side of the transformer depending on the direction of power flow. This is done for protection and safety (grounding ) purposes - so that the loads have a stable and ground referenced voltage.Otherwise if you can post a link to what you are reading it may help clarify.Sorry, I did a mistake, actually our professor taught us that on generating side of power plant the transformer is in delta-star configuration where as on distribution side it is in star-delta config. The reason being that
ranju
I have read that on generating side there is star delta connection and delta-star connection on distribution side..>!
I wanted to know the reason behind it..!
I know in delta the line voltage =phase voltage & in star phase voltage reduces..so is this the part of the reason behind it..??
Please elaborate..!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not quite clear to what you are referring to -with the "delta-star connection on distribution side" but typically the Star connection ( with a neutral) is on the Source side of the network connection making it the "secondary" side of the transformer depending on the direction of power flow. This is done for protection and safety (grounding ) purposes - so that the loads have a stable and ground referenced voltage.
Otherwise if you can post a link to what you are reading it may help clarify.

sorry , I did a mistake , actually our prof. taught us that on genrating side of power plant the transformer is in delta-star configuration where as on distribution side it is in star-delta config. , the reason being that voltage should be kept lower..! but why its in the stated config. why not star-delta onbboth transmission & distribution side??
I did'nt get this.. this is what I want to get elaborated..

You should Earth any electrical power source and you should do that where its current originates.

The generator is earthed at its own neutral, so there's no need to have a neutral on the stepup transformer's primary because it sees Earth via the generator..
The stepup's secondary becomes the origin of current for distribution system, so we make that a star winding and Earth its neutral.

In my opinion, that depends on application. If the secondary is connected to medium voltage overhead line then secondary has to be delta.

The medium voltage overhead lines [and even cables] could work for a while in a phase-to-ground short-circuit and there is no interruption of supplied energy.

High-voltage neutral is grounded [or nearly] in order to reduce voltage to ground in secondary winding [the stress between grounded elements and the winding] and the stress in overhead line insulators.

For this reason high voltage side- the secondary winding in step-up transformer- is star.

The primary for high-voltage step-up transformer-lower voltage windings, actually-is delta connected.

There are many problems as harmonics [third, namely], transient phenomena, the resonance conditions [and other, I think] in Y-Y connection.

The distribution transformer-step-down-instead supplies grounded neutral overhead [or underground] line [low voltage].Then usually the secondary is grounded [or nearly] star connection.

For medium voltage systems again the secondary has to be delta, but primary –high-voltage- is star connected and the neutral could be direct or through a surge arrester connected with ground.

Babadag said:
In my opinion, ... If the secondary is connected to medium voltage overhead line then secondary has to be delta.
Can you explain the reasoning behind that statement?

Likes Babadag
I have to apologize for this sentence. You are right. I had to say:”usually”.

You may use a star connection and treat the neutral point with resonant coil in order to minimize the capacitive short-circuit to ground [or use a NRG, or else], of course.

Reduction of harmonics content and influence of asymmetries to the sync. generator's work is better achieved in Y-D schemes. If the generator's stator is wye and is loaded by a nonlinear, but ballanced delta connected load, line currents don't contain triplen harmonics and DC component. These harmonics and DC components still circulate around delta. However, in practice loads are both nonlinear and unballaced which makes content of harmonics to appear in line currents. Triplen harmonics (3rd,6th,...) are quite troublesome, they can excite various bad modes in the generator. Some DYx transformer's groups are particularly good in suppressing influence and presence of most dangeorous harmonics. Therefore, it's not just "gen's wye - xfmr's delta", but whole "Y-DYx" thing that does the job. Another reason why we frequently see such connections in power transmision schemes is money. It's less expensive to construct power xfmr with medium voltage windings in delta and high voltage windings in wye.

What is a Star-Delta connection?

A Star-Delta connection, also known as a Wye-Delta connection, is a type of electrical connection used in three-phase power systems. It involves connecting three phases of a power source in a triangular shape, resembling a star, at one end and then connecting the other ends of the phases in a delta shape, resembling a triangle, at the other end.

What are the benefits of using a Star-Delta connection?

There are several benefits to using a Star-Delta connection, including reduced voltage drop, improved power factor, and increased efficiency. Additionally, it allows for the use of smaller and less expensive motors, as well as providing better starting torque.

When is a Star-Delta connection typically used?

A Star-Delta connection is typically used in high power applications where a large amount of power is required, such as in industrial settings. It is also commonly used in situations where there is a large difference between the starting and running currents of a motor.

How does a Star-Delta connection differ from other types of electrical connections?

A Star-Delta connection differs from other types of electrical connections in that it involves two types of configurations - the star configuration and the delta configuration. It also offers advantages that other configurations may not, such as better efficiency and reduced voltage drop.

What are some potential drawbacks of using a Star-Delta connection?

While a Star-Delta connection offers many benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. These can include higher installation costs, a more complex wiring process, and the need for specialized equipment and expertise. Additionally, the starting torque of a motor may be reduced compared to other types of connections.