1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star Delta converstion

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1
    Why there is a phase shift of 30 degree (positive or negative) if we convert our winding from star to delta or vice versa?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2011 #2
    Can you be more specific as to what exactly it is you are talking about?

Are you talking about a small 3-phase generator?

Have you tried a phasor diagram and perform the vectorial additions that happen when you do such wye and delta connections?

Please explain what you have tried and why you think the 30 phase shift shouldn't be there or how much shift you were expecting or something!...need to know where you are coming from.

4. Oct 3, 2011 #3
    I tried this on a transformer of 40MVA, 35/10 kV with higher side as delta connected and low voltage side as star connected and it gives a minimum of 30 degree phase shift and my concern is that why do we get a phase shift of minimum 30 degree.

5. Oct 4, 2011 #4
    Like I said...all you need to do is vector additions.

For example, say you have delta connection in the primary and your voltages are
    VAB=1<0
    VBC=1<-120
    VCA=1<-240

And you do a wye connection on the secondary and connected
    the secondary winding of VCA between a and neutral, that is Van = VCA
    the secondary winding of VAB between b and neutral, that is Vbn = VAB
    the secondary winding of VBC between c and neutral, that is Vcn = VBC

Now, you turn around and want to measure the line-to-line voltages on the secondary side...what are they?

Vab = Van + Vnb = Van - Vbn = 1.732<150
    Vbc = Vbn + Vnc = Vbn - Vcn = 1.732<30
    Vca = Vcn + Vna = Vcn - Van = 1.732<-90

So, not only is there a phase shift, but there is a ratio in magnitude for transformers with 1:1 turns...1.732 from delta to wye and 1/1.732 from wye to delta.

6. Oct 4, 2011 #5
    thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook