Star Density Should be a piece of cake

In summary, the speaker is in a difficult astronomy class due to not learning anything in their previous introductory class. They are struggling with finding the density of stars and are given data relative to the sun. They are unsure how to calculate the density in SI units but are thinking of multiplying the relative values by the sun's actual values. They are seeking clarification and help.
gothicpie
I am in Astr. 1020, and in my introductory Astronomy class I had last semester, we didnt learn anything. It was a "here's the study guide (aka the answers to the test)" kind of class so I didnt really learn that much.

Now, my Astr. 1020 teacher is rather difficult due to what I didnt learn last semester...

So on to the problem. For homework we have to find the density of Stars. It should be hard, mass (g) divided by volume (of a sphere, cm^3), I understand that much.

In the problems, we are given everything relative to the sun (I hope I'm stating that correctly). So, the data we have for the sun is 1.0m(sun) and 1.0R(sun). How am I supposed to do this and get g/cm^3?

I'm thinking, for example, Sirius (which is 2.0m(sun) and 2.0R(sun)) and multiply that by the mass and the radius of the sun, respectively. Is that right?

Thanks for the help, guys! :blushing:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You are correct. If you want them in normal SI units then all you have to do is multiply their relative values by the suns actual values in SI units.

You must factor the cubic volume and mass to derive the correct density.

1. What is star density and why is it important?

Star density refers to the number of stars within a given volume of space. It is important because it can provide clues about the formation and evolution of galaxies and the distribution of matter in the universe.

2. How is star density measured?

Star density is typically measured by counting the number of stars within a specific area of the sky, or by using telescopes and other instruments to measure the brightness and location of stars.

3. What factors can affect star density?

There are several factors that can affect star density, including the age of the galaxy, the presence of dark matter, and the gravitational pull of neighboring galaxies.

4. Is star density the same throughout the universe?

No, star density can vary greatly throughout the universe. It is generally higher in regions where galaxies are more concentrated, such as galaxy clusters, and lower in more sparse regions of the universe.

5. How is star density related to the concept of dark matter?

Dark matter is thought to make up a significant portion of the total mass in the universe, and it has a strong gravitational influence on the distribution of stars. As a result, the presence of dark matter can affect the overall star density in a given region.