Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star formation

1. Jul 20, 2006 #1
    What evidence do we have that stars are forming right now?

Molecular clouds? why do we know that molecular clouds are where stars form? any other lines of evidence? i know this is a big topic so a few reasons or a good link would be a good start for me to understand this big topic

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Though it is difficult to watch real-time, we can see stars in all stages of their lifespan, including formation itself. The Pleiades, for example, is a star cluster that formed relatively recently, the stars are young.....

Heh - and learn something new every day. I thought the nebulosity of the cluster was left-over from its formation, but apparently not:
    Here is a picture of "stellar nursery": http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap960816.html
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  4. Aug 11, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like Russ said, you can examine many different nebulae and see the different stages of star formation (the whole process is too long to watch). There's still a lot of virgin material out there ready to make new stars.
  5. Sep 14, 2006 #4
  6. Sep 17, 2006 #5
    thanks Geo. Cam on ban nhe.
  7. Sep 18, 2006 #6
    Yeh as the guys above have said you can look at nebulae which are, as im sure you know, generally thought of as stellar nurseries due to it being a dark, cold enviroment which is good for star forming (stellar winds push protostar material away).

Evidence for recently 'turned on' stars (hydrogen fusion begun) is say a star in a nebula which is glowing brightly but tightly surrounded by dust and gas save for a small pocket just outside the star, showing it is in the process of pushing this material away

dunno if that helps
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?