Star Model - Isothermal Core

In summary, the conversation discusses creating an idealized star model with an isothermal helium core and pure hydrogen layers outside the core. The model neglects radiation pressure and assumes fully ionized gas. The main parameter values at the center are given as T_0, \rho_0, and P_0. The conversation then goes on to evaluate the ratio R_1/R_0 and specify and explain the matching conditions at r_1, the boundary between the core and envelope. It also discusses expressing the hydrostatic and mass equations using length and mass measurement units and evaluating the reference constants using the model parameters. Finally, the conversation talks about the central conditions for \phi and \mu at x=0 and working out the series solutions
astrop

Homework Statement

Let’s make an idealized star model with two parts: an isothermal helium core, and pure
hydrogen layers outside the core. The core represents the part where hydrogen has already been burned. Mathematically this represents the simplest model that might resemble a partially-evolved star.

Neglect radiation pressure, and assume that the gas is fully ionized. The constant for the
ideal gas law is [tex]R_{0} [/tex] in the core (helium) and [tex]R_{1} [/tex] in the outer envelope (hydrogen). The
main parameter values at the center, [tex]r=0 [/tex], are [tex]T_{0} , \rho_{0} ,[/tex] and [tex] P_{0}[/tex].

(a) Evaluate the ratio [tex]R_{1}/R_{0} [/tex]

(b) Specify and explain the matching conditions at [tex] r_{1}[/tex], the boundary between core and envelope.

(c) If we adopt a particular pair of length and mass measurement units [tex]r_{x}[/tex] and [tex]m_{x}[/tex], then the hyrdostatic and mass equations in the isothermal core can be expressed simply as :

[tex]d\phi/dx = \mu/x^{2}[/tex]
[tex]d\mu/dx = x^{2}e^{-\phi}[/tex]

Briefly explain the meaning of the variables [tex]x[/tex], [tex]\mu(x)[/tex], and [tex]\phi(x)[/tex], then evaluate the reference constants [tex]r_{x}[/tex] and [tex]m_{x}[/tex] in terms of the model parameters [tex]T_{0}[/tex] and [tex]\rho_{0}[/tex].

(d) Specify the central conditions for [tex]\phi[/tex] and [tex]\mu[/tex] at x = 0. Work out the first two terms in a series solution for [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] near the center where x << 1. Do the same for [tex]\mu(x)[/tex] .

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dP}{dr} = -\rho\frac{G m}{r^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dP}{dm} = -\frac{G m}{4 \pi r^{4}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dm}{dr} = 4\pi r^{2} \rho[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dr}{dm} = \frac{1}{4\pi r^{2} \rho}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dT}{dr} = - \frac{3 \kappa \rho F}{4 a c T^{3} 4 \pi r^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dT}{dm} = -\frac{3 \kappa F}{4 a c T^{3} (4 \pi r^{2})^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dF}{dr} = 4 \pi r^{2} \rho q[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dF}{dm} = q[/tex]
[tex]P = \frac{R}{\mu_{I}}\rho T + P_{e} + \frac{1}{3}a T^{4}[/tex]
[tex]\kappa = \kappa_{0} \rho^{a}T^{b}[/tex]
[tex]q = q_{0} \rho^{m}T^{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Here I assumed the answer was [tex]\approx[/tex] 1/4, since the ration of specific gas constants should reduce to the ratio of their molar masses.

(b) Temperature and Pressure should both be continuous between the core and the envelope, whereas the density may be discontinuous.

If there was a discontinuity in temperature, the core would either be absorbing or radiating heat and the isothermal assumption would not be valid. If the pressure were discontinuous, the star would expand or contract and we would not have hydrostatic equilibrium.

(c) I know that x is the radial variable in the model, ie [tex]r = x r_{x}[/tex]. I also know that [tex]\mu(x)[/tex] is the scaled mass function, ie [tex]m = x \mu(x)[/tex]. I am not sure of [tex]\phi(x)[/tex], but I think it is something like the scaled gravitational potential.

The part I am really having trouble with is evaluating the reference constants. I was thinking of taking the dimensionless differential equations given, rewriting them as regular, unit-having differential equations and then try to group the constants together and call that [tex]r_{x}[/tex] or [tex]m_{x}[/tex] (depending on the equation), but even if that works I not sure how to work in the temperature.

(d) If I was correct in part (c) then [tex]\phi(0) = 0[/tex] and [tex]\mu(0) = 0[/tex]. I'm still working on the series solutions.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your response is off to a great start! Here are some additional thoughts on each part:

(a) Your reasoning for the ratio of specific gas constants is correct. However, it might be helpful to actually calculate the ratio using the values for R_0 and R_1 given in the problem. This will give you a more precise answer.

(b) Your explanation of the matching conditions is correct. It might be helpful to also mention that the temperature gradient should be continuous at the boundary as well.

(c) Your understanding of the variables x, \mu(x), and \phi(x) is correct. To evaluate the reference constants, you can use the equations given in the problem and substitute in the values for T_0 and \rho_0. For example, using the hydrostatic equation, you can solve for r_x in terms of T_0 and \rho_0. Similarly, using the mass equation, you can solve for m_x in terms of T_0 and \rho_0.

(d) Your central conditions are correct. To find the series solutions, you can use the Taylor series expansion for e^{-\phi} and solve for the first few terms. Similarly, you can use the Taylor series expansion for \mu and solve for the first few terms.

1. What is the Star Model - Isothermal Core?

The Star Model - Isothermal Core is a theoretical model used to describe the internal structure of a star. It assumes that the core of a star is in a state of constant temperature, meaning that the energy produced by nuclear reactions in the core is balanced by the energy radiated from the surface.

2. How does the Star Model - Isothermal Core differ from other models?

The Star Model - Isothermal Core differs from other models, such as the standard solar model, in that it assumes a constant temperature in the core instead of a temperature gradient. This simplifies the mathematical equations used to describe the structure of a star and can provide a more accurate representation for certain types of stars.

3. What factors influence the isothermal core of a star?

The temperature and density of the core, as well as the rate of nuclear reactions, are the main factors that influence the isothermal core of a star. These factors can vary depending on the mass and composition of the star, as well as its stage of evolution.

4. What types of stars are best described by the Star Model - Isothermal Core?

The Star Model - Isothermal Core is most commonly used to describe low-mass stars, such as red dwarfs, which have a relatively low temperature and density in their cores. It can also be applied to other types of stars, such as white dwarfs, depending on their specific characteristics.

5. How is the Star Model - Isothermal Core used in scientific research?

The Star Model - Isothermal Core is used in scientific research to gain a better understanding of the internal structure and evolution of stars. By utilizing this model, scientists can make predictions about the behavior and properties of stars and compare them to observations, helping to advance our knowledge of stellar physics.