Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star Processing!

1. Jul 27, 2003 #1
    I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites which deal with the specfic gravitational and nuclear effects at each age of a stars life. Im gonna "try" and create a sun simulator! as a start of OpenGL programming physical simulators, and thought this would be a good start point :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2003 #2

Science Advisor

Would this address your needs?
  4. Jul 27, 2003 #3

Science Advisor

Also, there is an animated time-line at this site.

But as ussual, NASA's site does a better job of explaining.

However, I've noticed that none of the sites I've given you mention the very important part that quantum tunnelling plays in the initiation of fusion. Maybe someone else here can find a link to that.
  5. Jul 28, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pick up a texbook that includes quantitative information on stellar evolution. Carroll & Ostlie's "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" has all the info you'd need to create a [accurate] sun simulator. The central key to the simulation is the requirement of constant hydrostatic equilibrium.

- Warren
  6. Jul 29, 2003 #5
    If you want to go hard core, take a peek at Kippenhahn and Weigert's Stellar Structure and Evolution. It provides a comprehensive overview of stellar modeling, including various numerical and computational methods of simulating stars. To keep things simple, you probably want to avoid varying things like metallicity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?