Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star Statistics

1. Mar 3, 2006 #1
    Hello
    Im doing a project for data management and i thought i could do a project on when stars where discovered when, where kinda thing. Ive looked all around and i cant find quiet what im looking for so i thought if i asked here some one would have a little somthing to help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Stars that are naked-eye visible were pretty much discovered the first time someone looked up. And most stars that are not naked-eye visible do not have names. You may be able to find a catalog of a sky survey of the Milky-Way, though.

4. Mar 3, 2006 #3

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are several online resources that help you 'resolve' names of astronomical objects (e.g. this STScI site has a rich set of search tools, you'll find many such as SIMBAD and NED).

Stars get names because they're in catalogues, so the OP's question pretty much becomes one of the history of catalogues (and their scope, of course!).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?