Is the Star Test for Syllogisms a Valid Method?

• Thread starter Login
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star Test
In summary, the star test is used to check if a syllogism is valid by checking to see if there are any letters that are starred twice or if there is a letter on the right hand side that is starred. The example I gave failed the test because there is nothing in A.
Login
I'm reading a book by Harry J. Gensler in which he introduces his 'star test' for checking whether or not a syllogism is valid. According to the star method the premises;

all A is B
all A is C

has no valid conclusion. But wouldn't;

some B is C

be a valid conclusion?
Sorry if this is kind of a silly question, I'm just starting to learn this stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that you've copied it correctly? The closest that I could find was this fallacy - Undistributed Middle Term.

If the example is correct, perhaps the answer is elsewhere on that site.

I'm pretty sure. Gensler says the star test works by putting a star above any distributed letters in the premises and any non-distributed letters in the conclusion. The test says it is valid only if:
1) each capital letter is starred exactly once and
2) there is exactly one letter on the right hand side that is starred.
In the premises of the examples I listed 'A' would be starred twice, once in each premise, so that should make it invalid but I don't see why 'some B is C' isn't a valid conclusion.

The example I gave wasn't from the book, it was something I though up which fails the test but appears to have a valid answer.

Last edited:
Never mind, I think I figured it out. Is it because there isn't necessarily anything in A?

My first thought when I read your example was the following:

A = Ford
B = vehicle
C = 4 wheels

Substituting, using your example:
all Fords are vehicles
all Fords have 4 wheels

It looks like some vehicles have 4 wheels would be true.

But if we take:

A = fairies
B = things that have wings
C = things that have magic wands

then some B is C only if fairies exist, if they don't then there isn't necessarily something that's common to both B and C so I can't say with certainty that some B is C.

Wow, after I just posted I literally read two more pages and Gensler started to go into this, turns out it is because A may be empty.

Looks like we both learned something. :)

1. What is a Star Test for Syllogisms?

A Star Test for Syllogisms is a method used to evaluate the validity of a syllogism, which is a logical argument consisting of two premises and a conclusion. The test involves assigning stars to different parts of the syllogism in order to determine if the conclusion follows logically from the premises.

2. How does the Star Test for Syllogisms work?

The Star Test for Syllogisms works by assigning stars to each term in the syllogism based on its relationship to the other terms. Specifically, stars are assigned to the middle term, the terms in the premises, and the conclusion. The number and placement of stars can then be used to determine the validity of the syllogism.

3. Why is the Star Test for Syllogisms useful?

The Star Test for Syllogisms is useful because it provides a systematic way of evaluating the validity of a syllogism. It allows for a clearer understanding of the relationship between the premises and the conclusion, and can help identify any flaws or fallacies in the argument.

4. What are the limitations of the Star Test for Syllogisms?

One limitation of the Star Test for Syllogisms is that it is only applicable to categorical syllogisms, which are arguments that use categorical statements (e.g. all, some, no) to make a conclusion. It also does not take into account the content or truthfulness of the premises, only their logical relationship to each other.

5. How can I improve my understanding of the Star Test for Syllogisms?

To improve your understanding of the Star Test for Syllogisms, it is helpful to practice applying it to different syllogisms. You can also read about different types of syllogisms and their corresponding star patterns. Additionally, seeking guidance from a logic expert or taking a logic course can also enhance your understanding of the test.