Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star Trek Horizon (fan film)

1. Feb 28, 2016 #1
    Hello,
    a long-awaited fan film has been released on Friday.

I'd say it's pretty good.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #2
    I'd give it 7 out of 6 stars.

4. Feb 29, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I didn't think it rates 7 of 6.

The question is on what basis should this be judged? Same basis as a "real" movie? Same basis as a cat video on Youtube?

I though the SFX were amazing, especially for something not from Hollywood. I thought the script was all over the place, and I found the costuming sufficiently ill-fitting to be a distraction. I puzzled over why they decided to contradict what we know about the Earth-Romulan war from Balance of Terror.

5. Mar 1, 2016 #4
    I was rating the story. The movie itself, not an A-list quality performer I noticed, anywhere, but I easily saw past all the mortal limitations evident in the final product. There were plenty of very excellent components, they just didn't integrate seamlessly like a big-budget Hollywood movie would... 3 out of 5 for the movie overall.

6. Mar 1, 2016 #5
    I get the impression Gene wrote this story (Horizon) a long time ago?

7. Mar 1, 2016 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Highly unlikely, as he died a decade before Enterprise aired. He also wrote very few stories - he wrote a half dozen in TOS and the pilot for TNG. And I stand by my opinion of the story - it was a mess.

8. Mar 1, 2016 #7
    Certainly agreed. It took your pointing it out for me to even realize it as the "plot" is usually a secondary consideration for me, I'm still not caring a whole lot about the names and places, history and races, the only one that stuck in my head is the Iconians whom built Horizon, and I could imagine series of books off that simple base, leaving the plethora of insignificant details to writers who lack the ideological rigor to see the biggest possible picture and know it well enough to find yourself in the details.

But then wouldn't everyone who arrives at the same logical peak of perfection, as in the case of this story, necessarily reach the same logical conclusion of what the "perfect" weapon would be? I just realized there is the similar weapon shown in a different format in Star Wars... it seems like a similar basic concept if I said I could base a story off building rings around the Earth using it's internal dynamo as a power source and take it any way I choose. Obviously to be structurally coherent in my own universe I could make anything up, but what I am really, madly, truly, deeply getting at is there is only one universe around us and only so far you can take everything in any direction until things all start to seem to overlap or conflict. When you stick to a specific set of basic, simple principles and see the far reaching structure they impose, such as relativity predicts, you can follow the laws and get the end game down for long range sensors, which detect patterns of gravitational waves, and shorter range EM sensor overlays, and know that in an infinite universe, even with a 3 meter sphere of a supercomputer it is still practically impossible to tell which way any large mass goes, any great distance, and the further you are from the source provides less dense and less decipherable information... leading to the plausibility of the overall story facet.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook