What is the significance of Horizon, the fan film released on Friday?

In summary: The question is on what basis should this be judged? Same basis as a "real" movie? Same basis as a cat video on Youtube? I thought the SFX were amazing, especially for something not from Hollywood. I thought the script was all over the place, and I found the costuming sufficiently ill-fitting to be a distraction. I puzzled over why they decided to contradict what we know about the Earth-Romulan war from Balance of Terror.The story was good, but the movie was not great. The SFX were good, but the script was not great. The costuming was good, but the script was not great. The contradicting information about the Earth-Romul
SlowThinker
Hello,
a long-awaited fan film has been released on Friday.

I'd say it's pretty good.

Physics news on Phys.org
SlowThinker said:
I'd say it's pretty good.
I'd give it 7 out of 6 stars.

I didn't think it rates 7 of 6.

The question is on what basis should this be judged? Same basis as a "real" movie? Same basis as a cat video on Youtube?

I though the SFX were amazing, especially for something not from Hollywood. I thought the script was all over the place, and I found the costuming sufficiently ill-fitting to be a distraction. I puzzled over why they decided to contradict what we know about the Earth-Romulan war from Balance of Terror.

Vanadium 50 said:
I didn't think it rates 7 of 6
I was rating the story. The movie itself, not an A-list quality performer I noticed, anywhere, but I easily saw past all the mortal limitations evident in the final product. There were plenty of very excellent components, they just didn't integrate seamlessly like a big-budget Hollywood movie would... 3 out of 5 for the movie overall.

Vanadium 50 said:
I puzzled over why they decided to contradict what we know about the Earth-Romulan war from Balance of Terror.
I get the impression Gene wrote this story (Horizon) a long time ago?

jerromyjon said:
get the impression Gene wrote this story (Horizon) a long time ago?

Highly unlikely, as he died a decade before Enterprise aired. He also wrote very few stories - he wrote a half dozen in TOS and the pilot for TNG. And I stand by my opinion of the story - it was a mess.

Vanadium 50 said:
And I stand by my opinion of the story - it was a mess.
Certainly agreed. It took your pointing it out for me to even realize it as the "plot" is usually a secondary consideration for me, I'm still not caring a whole lot about the names and places, history and races, the only one that stuck in my head is the Iconians whom built Horizon, and I could imagine series of books off that simple base, leaving the plethora of insignificant details to writers who lack the ideological rigor to see the biggest possible picture and know it well enough to find yourself in the details.

But then wouldn't everyone who arrives at the same logical peak of perfection, as in the case of this story, necessarily reach the same logical conclusion of what the "perfect" weapon would be? I just realized there is the similar weapon shown in a different format in Star Wars... it seems like a similar basic concept if I said I could base a story off building rings around the Earth using it's internal dynamo as a power source and take it any way I choose. Obviously to be structurally coherent in my own universe I could make anything up, but what I am really, madly, truly, deeply getting at is there is only one universe around us and only so far you can take everything in any direction until things all start to seem to overlap or conflict. When you stick to a specific set of basic, simple principles and see the far reaching structure they impose, such as relativity predicts, you can follow the laws and get the end game down for long range sensors, which detect patterns of gravitational waves, and shorter range EM sensor overlays, and know that in an infinite universe, even with a 3 meter sphere of a supercomputer it is still practically impossible to tell which way any large mass goes, any great distance, and the further you are from the source provides less dense and less decipherable information... leading to the plausibility of the overall story facet.

Last edited:

1. What is "Star Trek Horizon"?

"Star Trek Horizon" is a fan-made film set in the Star Trek universe. It follows the story of the USS Discovery and its crew as they embark on a mission to explore a new region of space.

2. Who created "Star Trek Horizon"?

"Star Trek Horizon" was created by Tommy Kraft, a filmmaker and Star Trek fan. He wrote, directed, and produced the film entirely on his own with a small budget and a team of dedicated volunteers.

3. Is "Star Trek Horizon" an official Star Trek production?

No, "Star Trek Horizon" is not an official Star Trek production. It is a fan-made film and is not endorsed by or affiliated with CBS, the owners of the Star Trek franchise.

4. What is the storyline of "Star Trek Horizon"?

"Star Trek Horizon" is set in the year 2160, during the Earth-Romulan War. The crew of the USS Discovery is tasked with exploring a new region of space and uncovering a mysterious threat that could change the course of the war.

5. Where can I watch "Star Trek Horizon"?

"Star Trek Horizon" is available to watch for free on the film's official website, as well as on YouTube. It has also been screened at various film festivals and conventions around the world.