Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star trek inc, science project

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    Recall in Star Trek the next generation and of the new series, they use replicators and holodecks.

Many science degrees work hard in all fields of knowledge.
    In the future technology will mature and that kind of science may be real.

How do you think society will react this scientific technology?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some people will be rather annoyed. Star Trek is a vision of the future where science and technology has provided almost limitless energy and almost limitless food supplies. These are the two fundamental things that drive the economy and the two things that give people power over other people.

The population can then go one of two ways. They could become lazy and hedonistic as in brave new world, or they could be driven by a desire to contribute to society. Most likely there will be a mixture of both.

4. Jan 28, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's what I'm waiting for!!

5. Jan 28, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, if only these damned scientists would pull their finger out. :smile:

6. Jan 28, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

By Roddenberry's original vision, money wouldn't exist in ST's era. Notice that it is never mentioned (other than away missions) until those pesky Ferengi showed up. Everyone had full access to anything that s/he wanted, and worked for the feeling of accomplishment. It does make me wonder why anyone would voluntarily don that red shirt...

7. Jan 28, 2008 #6
    NEVER the red shirt! :surprised
    I was wishing to see more inventions in my life time, those inventors better get to stepping!

8. Jan 28, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

We're not too far off with some of them. The diagnostic beds... got 'em (albeit with physical connections to the patient). Universal translator... we have pocket organizers that can translate about a dozen languages, although you have to input it as text. Geordi's VISOR (capitalized because it's an acronym)... there are optical implants than can allow a blind person to 'see' to a very limited extent.
    All that remains is to makes the rules of 'Fisbin' universally available.

9. Jan 28, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could probably do a PhD in the rules of fisbin (or fizzbin).

10. Jan 29, 2008 #9
    My wife would give my left nut for a replicator. I suppose she could then replicate me a new one. ouch.

11. Jan 29, 2008 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Your wife must be a Conservative. I'd give both of yours for one... :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?