Can Humanity Overcome the Galactic Barrier in Star Trek's New Series?

In summary: the show was never about the USS Enterprise, it was always about the crew of the USS Enterprise. I don't think the show would have been as successful if they'd stuck to that premise.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
New TV(?) series premiering Jan 2017.

[ref]

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting! Seems vague on details but I'm pretty excited for that :) grew up watching TNG and always had a soft spot for trek.

I just saw that and was going to start a new thread.

I hope it's good, some Star Trek series I really enjoyed, some of them I really disliked.

It will be interesting to find out if the series will be in the old Star Trek universe or the movie reboot. My money is on the latter given that the films generated the latest fans, though I'm not sure how I feel about that given the alterations to the timeline.

Ryan_m_b said:
It will be interesting to find out if the series will be in the old Star Trek universe or the movie reboot. My money is on the latter given that the films generated the latest fans, though I'm not sure how I feel about that given the alterations to the timeline.

It's possible that the series may be part of the movie reboot, but incorporating a completely different set of characters, with a different star ship instead of the Enterprise (similar to Deep Space 9 or Voyager). Which could lead to a different vibe in the series from either the rebooted movies or the old Star Trek universe.

At any rate, my curiosity is certainly piqued, having grown up on the old Star Trek movies and TNG.

Ryan_m_b said:
From what I see on the internet, it's going to be set during 2150ish, during a war between humans and Romulans. In the original timeline, that's right about the time of the first warp ships. I'm not sure how I'll feel about that, as I found Enterprise it lacking compared to TNG or Voyager because of it's more primitive ship and technology. No transporters, no holodecks, and forget about trying to outrun or overpower an enemy. It also limits the cast to humans and vulcans, and limits the enemies to Romulans. No Klingons, Borg, Q, androids... all of which tended to be my favorite species. That also means that there can't be anything super surprising, many times Data was ordered to search all of Starfleet's records to events similar to [insert anything here.] I too wonder if they're going to start a new timeline and ignore the events that unfolded "after" it.

I too think it's going to be in the movie timeline but not movie cast given the success other franchises have had tying movies and shows together (like the MCU). 2150 is a weird time to set it, that's really early in the timeline. Before the events of the film alternate universe reboot.

Before enterprise came out I was excited for it. I thought it would be really cool to set the limits of humans not having shields, transporters, replicators etc and explore that. It would make a change from the usually technologically superior/matched federation. The real show did none of that, they basically had all the same technology but with different names; "polarise the hull plating" instead of "raise the shields". Story wise it amounted to the exact same thing. Same goes for translators (inexplicably capable human instead), transporters (said to be experimental but worked), warp drive (they banged on about it being limited to 5 but never had trouble getting anywhere) and the list goes on and on. Perhaps more annoying anyone they met tended to be similarly advanced.

There are exceptions to all of these in specific episodes but the trend was true.

Likes Silicon Waffle
I was looking at the timeline of the reboot too, it's 50-100 years before Kirk. If I were designing this show this early in the timeline, I'd make it about a small group of human officers on a Vulcan exploration ship, that's how I'd both preserve the timeline as well as keep Star Trek staples like some of the technology and The Prime Directive. If I remember correctly, the Vulcans didn't share their technology secrets with us because of the Prime Directive, but they took us under their wing.

I think the concept of a technologically impaired Star Trek would be interesting for a few episodes, but be tough to keep going. I got bored with Enterprise pretty quickly.

That's the thing: enterprise wasn't technologically impaired. They basically had all the technology TNG featured (minus a couple notable things) but with different names.

A series about a star fleet ship whose sole mission was to acquire technology could be very interesting.

The producers of Enterprise never liked their own premise. Telling the story from an earlier time means fewer aliens. It means more time in transit - and thus more bottle episodes. But that's not what they wanted to write.

Coincidentally, I was watching Dr. Who the day before the announcement, and there was a ship with "nacelles".
I thought that was very Trekkie.

Dr.Who.Planet.of.Evil.Part.4.Ship.with.nacelles.jpg

1975, Season 13, Planet of Evil. 30,000 years in the future. (The ship was not a member of the UFP :biggrin:)

Having never watched 99% of the original Dr. Who, it's fun looking for similarities in the two series, as I've seen 99% of all of the Star Trek episodes.

ps. At my current rate, I'll have finished the original Dr. Who series around the middle of next month.

hopefully with an enterprise NCC1701 H with Quantum Slipstream drive to travel to other galaxies. WARP is not usefull anymore, because it destroys the subspace.

I'd like the new series to be after voyager (thus having QS-drive and other cool tech) but the reboot with the films and the complication off all the post voyager books makes it seem very unlikely.

Why does warp destroy subspace? I don't remember that from the shows, or the few books I've read.

Ryan_m_b said:
I'd like the new series to be after voyager (thus having QS-drive and other cool tech) but the reboot with the films and the complication off all the post voyager books makes it seem very unlikely.

Why does warp destroy subspace? I don't remember that from the shows, or the few books I've read.

TNG Season 7 episode 9
After this Episode they have to drive with only WARP 5.

MacRudi said:
TNG Season 7 episode 9
After this Episode they have to drive with only WARP 5.
Bah!
Warp speeds above warp 5 were routinely used after 2370, without mention of the harmful effects, suggesting a solution was found, even though it was not mentioned on-screen. (Star Trek Encyclopedia 2nd ed., p. 187) See also: Variable geometry pylon. As the "speed limit" probably also limited potential future storylines, it seems that the concept was quietly done away with, shortly into the next season. Brannon Braga has noted that, "When you limit warp drive, the rug is being pulled out from under Star Trek." (Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages, p. 294)
[ref: Trek nerds extraordinaire!]

ps. Was watching Dr. Who two days ago, and "resistance is futile" was uttered:
The Master; "Resistance, is futile".
The Deadly Assassin: Episode 4
Season 14, episode 12, aired 11/20/1976​
As far as I can tell, this evolved from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe Galaxy phrase; "Resistance, is useless".

That is the next retro-TV show on my list.

That's why I said, that the new Enterprise needs a slipstream drive. WARP drive as Alcubierre Drive is destroying subspace but with a slipstream they can drive faster than before and don't destroy subspace. One problem only is that they need really good material for structureintegrity of the ship. Slipstream has no WARP field bubble around. It is for the slipstreamtunnel only a quantum which goes through the neck of the bottle. So a lot more problems to solve for them.

Given that the issue was never mentioned in DS9 or Voyager explicitly or otherwise, nor in any of the 10 or so post-voyager books I've read I think we can safely say it would be ignored by future writers. Maybe they'll have a throwaway line stating that clean warp drives were invented and/or the damage wasn't as bad as predicted.

Ryan_m_b said:
Given that the issue was never mentioned in DS9 or Voyager explicitly or otherwise, nor in any of the 10 or so post-voyager books I've read I think we can safely say it would be ignored by future writers. Maybe they'll have a throwaway line stating that clean warp drives were invented and/or the damage wasn't as bad as predicted.

In Voyager they said, that they have solved the problem. But WARP speed is not fast enough to fly into other galaxies

MacRudi said:
In Voyager they said, that they have solved the problem. But WARP speed is not fast enough to fly into other galaxies

Sure, but in the ST universe you can't leave the milky way anyway:
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_barrier

1. What is "Star Trek, the 6th generation"?

"Star Trek, the 6th generation" refers to a hypothetical continuation or reboot of the popular science fiction franchise, Star Trek. It is not an official term or title used by the creators of the franchise.

2. When will "Star Trek, the 6th generation" be released?

As of now, there are no plans for a 6th generation of Star Trek. The most recent installment, "Star Trek: Picard", premiered in January 2020. It is unknown if or when a 6th generation may be developed.

3. Who will be involved in "Star Trek, the 6th generation"?

Again, there is currently no official 6th generation of Star Trek in development. However, if a new installment were to be created, it is likely that it would involve a new cast and crew, as has been the case with previous generations.

4. Will "Star Trek, the 6th generation" follow the same timeline as the previous generations?

It is impossible to say for certain, as there is no official 6th generation in the works. However, the creators of the franchise have been known to explore different timelines and parallel universes in previous installments, so it is possible that a 6th generation could do the same.

5. Will "Star Trek, the 6th generation" stay true to the original series?

If a 6th generation were to be developed, it is likely that it would stay true to the core themes and values of the original series, which center around exploration, diversity, and the human experience. However, as with any new installment, there may be updates and changes to keep the franchise fresh and relevant.