Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star Wars blaster

Tags:
  1. Oct 22, 2016 #1
    it's widely recognised that in star wars that their blaster bolts are plasma contained inside a magnetic field but, how is this magnetic field maintained after the initial firing? why does the field go away after it hits something? I'm not really looking for some big cannon explanation (although if one is given id love to hear it) I'm looking for the if and how mostly.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you looking for an explanation in terms of real physics? If so, there is no explanation, as we haven't yet developed technology to create weapons similar to blasters.

4. Oct 23, 2016 #3
    The blaster works by taking a ball point pen, and drawing a line on the film from the tip of the blaster, and on successive frames drawing it again successively closer to the target.

5. Oct 23, 2016 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

You also have to strike a wrench on a radio tower cable.

6. May 22, 2017 #5
  7. Dec 18, 2017 #6
    This is not entirely relevant but I read somewhere that the velocity of blaster shots vary considerably through out the movies even from being shot by the same blaster. I think it said that shots later on in the movies moved faster on average than early on.

8. Feb 9, 2018 #7

Khashishi

Science Advisor

At 24 frames/s, they can't move very fast while still having visible trajectories, especially on a close up shot. Do the new movies use 48 frames/s?

9. Feb 9, 2018 #8
    I don't know if there is a canon explanation, but if you look on Wookieepedia, you may be able to find a Legends explanation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted