Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens

• Thread starter sanman
  • Start date
strangerep
Science Advisor
[Force Awakens] was the same as A New Hope. [...]
And yet, when I watched a TV re-run of "A New Hope" (for the umpteenth time), I still enjoyed it and watched to the end.

The new SW management copies the form, but not the soul.

Likewise, I'm expecting the next movie "The Last Jedi" to be a copy of The Empire Strikes Back. This time, it will be Old Luke Skywalker taking the place of Master Yoda, while Rey is in place of young Luke Skywalker. And yet, I'm worried that this reproduction will again leave out crucial elements that lack the soul of the original.

Do you remember how in the original ESB, Luke's skepticism of the Force prevented him from truly embracing its power - and there was that superb scene with Yoda raising the X-Wing to the amazement of the skeptical Luke? That was one of the best scenes in the entire series.

I wonder if we'll get something as magnificent and as meaningful in the upcoming movie. That would be hard to top.

Last edited:
strangerep
Science Advisor
[...] it will be Old Luke Skywalker taking the place of Master Yoda, [...]
Hmmm, I wonder.

I would have thought Old Luke would be more like the well-meaning, but flawed, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Honest trailers named Force awakens 'Star wars: A familiar hope' lol. It was almost a remake but it sure was entertaining. I think the next two movies should be original. I'll lose interest if they remake again.

Honest trailers named Force awakens 'Star wars: A familiar hope' lol. It was almost a remake but it sure was entertaining. I think the next two movies should be original. I'll lose interest if they remake again.
I go to movies for fun, not for continuity. YMMV

I go to movies for fun, not for continuity. YMMV
Force awakens was fun but fun-movies can only mint money, it'll not be remembered like the original trilogy. But I'm sure they won't remake ESB.

Force awakens was fun but fun-movies can only mint money, it'll not be remembered like the original trilogy. But I'm sure they won't remake ESB.
In Hollywood you're only as good as your last movie. This stifles creativity so we wind up making twelve versions of "Sleepy Hollow" or some such.

As for the original three, other than the visual I saw little to excite me.

Too much money is invested in modern Hollywood sci-fi films for directors to have any real creative freedom. That doesn't mean the movies can't be good, but it stops directors from taking big risks and creative leaps. I miss the days of Kubrick and Lucas when films were art and directors were just artists working on their craft.

Or when Speilberg faked the Moon landing, but demanded to shoot on location.