China Develops Laser Gun Like Star Wars: Burns Through Skin

In summary, the new laser gun from China is similar to the Star Wars franchise in that it is a weapon that produces beams of light that can burn through skin. However, the gun is not as clumsy or as random as a blaster, and is more elegant.
e-pie
China develops new laser gun similar to Star Wars. It can burn through skin to produce immense agony.

Here

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/inventions/china-has-reportedly-made-a-laser-gun-powerful-enough-to-destroy-a-target-from-almost-1km-away/news-story/4a295cdd89318df43f7c973087991b42

Physics news on Phys.org
How is this similar to Star Wars? A franchise famous for pew pew laser bolts that are visible, discrete and travel at subsonic speeds?

Likes russ_watters
I never liked the star wars guns much. Preferred the light sabers much. Gets the job done with more ease and much more attractive!

Han shot first.

• Haha
Likes ParticleGinger6, russ_watters and DennisN
Vanadium 50 said:
Han shot first.

Can't remember? Are you referring to any particular scenes?

It's nothing like a Star Wars gun. When you work your way to the original Chinese web site, it isn't anything like what they're sensationalizing. Their video shows a demonstration on a rooftop with a pencil-sized burn area similar to putting something under a magnifying glass. Also stated is that it's good for 100 2-second shots on a single charge. The rooftop demo lasted a lot longer than 2 seconds and didn't burn a significant area. So, the claim "setting a whole person on fire" stretches credibility.

I can only imagine how long they would have to keep it focused on a target that's a kilometer away in order to set even the most flammable objects on fire. :oldeyes:

Likes davenn and berkeman
Borg said:
pencil-sized burn area similar to putting something under a magnifying glass

I feel safer already.

Borg said:
It's nothing like a Star Wars gun.

Its...not as clumsy or as random as a blaster.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Ibix and Borg
ChemAir said:
Its...not as clumsy or as random as a blaster.
An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and ChemAir
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

• Haha
Likes davenn, Rive, russ_watters and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.
:wink::smile:

e-pie said:
It can burn through skin to produce immense agony.

"It’s all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes DennisN
Ryan_m_b said:
How is this similar to Star Wars? A franchise famous for pew pew laser bolts that are visible, discrete and travel at subsonic speeds?
Actually, the entire star wars laser gun thing have been quite ridiculous. See rogue one's at the database at scarif scene and you will find walls and aisles being shot by the laser guns and nothing happens? I mean directly after it being hit and the sparks dim away nothing is different! The damage then suddenly appeared after the combat stops. So either this is a extremely intelligent weapon which only do harm to robots and humans, or this makes no sense.

By the way, I'm a chinese(taiwanese) and didn't seem able to find the original post which it claims to copy from south china timorning post.o_O

I have a pair of one watt lasers, green (524 nm) and violet (405 nm).
A hit on a bare arm with the green laser will lift a person up off their toes the first time. The blue laser will cause them to look down at the spot. Wavelength is major. Green follows the nerves almost three inches both sides of the spot.
I was looking at ads for a five watt blue, nice, but I am betting it has little more effect than the one watt blue.
A five watt green is not available, I am guessing it would be dangerous, rather, more dangerous.
Eye hits with either are permanent.

Article said:
“It will look like an accident,” the researchers said.
Just like the prequels did. :smile:

No problem, we'll just invent some handy white plastic armor to protect ourselves from this Chinese laser threat. Yep, no way they pop a hole through a centimeter of white plastic. Problem solved!

Rubidium_71 said:
No problem, we'll just invent some handy white plastic armor to protect ourselves from this Chinese laser threat. Yep, no way they pop a hole through a centimeter of white plastic. Problem solved!
Then they make an entangled beam and collapse the waveform inches from impact, creating a beam of particles instead of waves.
Goodbye reflection, hello penetration.

Arms race!

Not really...

Their armor wasn't much good against wooden weapons from teddy bears either. :)

• Haha
Likes DennisN

1. What is the purpose of China developing a laser gun like Star Wars?

The purpose of developing a laser gun like Star Wars is for military use and potential future deployment in warfare.

2. How does the laser gun work?

The laser gun uses high-powered lasers to create a concentrated beam of light that can cause damage to a target's skin, similar to how a magnifying glass can burn leaves on a sunny day.

3. Is this laser gun similar to the ones used in Star Wars?

While the concept of using lasers for weaponry is similar, the technology behind the China-developed laser gun is not as advanced as the ones depicted in Star Wars. However, it does have the potential for further advancements and development.

4. What are the potential risks and safety concerns of using a laser gun like this?

There are several potential risks and safety concerns with using a laser gun like this, including the potential for accidental harm to non-targets, causing permanent damage to a target's skin, and the possibility of the lasers being used for malicious purposes.

5. Is China the only country developing this type of laser gun?

No, other countries, such as the United States and Russia, have also been researching and developing laser weapons. However, China's recent successful test of the laser gun has garnered attention and raised concerns about the future of laser technology in warfare.