Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stardust nears end of epic journey

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.uwnews.org/article.asp?articleID=21550

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2006 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

It will be 4:30 Sunday Morning here in Michigan when the live NASA webcast begins. I'll be up and watching!

4. Jan 14, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re-entry is supposed to be visible in some areas along the west coast.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  5. Jan 14, 2006 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

Yeah, I emailed that to a friend of mine in OR, but (suprise, suprise!) the forecast is for thick solid overcast all night.

6. Jan 14, 2006 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right now, in Oregon, there is something strange going on outside... A bright yellow thing has appeared in the sky. The sky which normally is gray with shades of black is now showing patches of blue.... Is this the end of the earth? can anybody explain what I am seeing?

I doubt this break in the overcast will last long or be significant enough to catch the reentry which must be after midnight tonight.

7. Jan 15, 2006 #6

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Something strange happened here in San Francisco too. The rain clouds went away and the sky turned black! And it is full of lights, hundreds of them.

From here Stardust should pass next to the Polaris at 1:58 local time. The sky is completely clear. Let's hope it stays that way until 2am. Then I can post a picture.

8. Jan 15, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does everyone have their pocket protectors and popcorn?

9. Jan 15, 2006 #8

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw nothing.

The San Francisco sky was 100% clear. I'm pretty sure I was looking in the right place at the right time.

I've seen 2 shuttles re-enter, and it's a bright, obvious thing that would catch your eye if you weren't looking for it. But I guess the Stardust probe is very small.

10. Jan 15, 2006 #9

eep

I'm in Berkeley I saw nothing, too. I thought I was just looking in the wrong place!

11. Jan 15, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was cloudy here, but I noticed that by the time I looked it had already nearly passed. The time frame was very narrow. I realized that I was still looking through a hole in the clouds when it was almost over Utah.

This was the fastest man-made object to ever enter the atmosphere - about 28,000 mph.

Ah, it looks like they found it... waiting... waiting...

I keep thinking how funny it would be if they lost it in Utah...

waiting... okay, they found it. YAY!!!

12. Jan 15, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I wanna see one of these things come down. You can see it with the naked eye right ?

13. Jan 15, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh wait... it's just the chute...

the suspense is killing me! :biggrin:

14. Jan 15, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You were in a great spot to see this one. Yes, it was supposed to be visible.

15. Jan 15, 2006 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

We have overcast here :(

16. Jan 15, 2006 #15
  17. Jan 15, 2006 #16
    Yesterday I saw Brownlee's press conference for the Stardust NASA mission on one of our public use cable TV channels. All pretty fascinating space material a lot of scientists are eager to analyze. I just recently read Brownlee's well received book of a year or three ago, "Rare Earth". (highly recommended) So can imagine what all that means to that astrobiology community.

...David

18. Jan 19, 2006 #17

LURCH

Science Advisor

Whoot! Good sample return! Saw the pics at Space.com, you can plainly see the impact sights.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?