Stardust nears end of epic journey

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the Stardust spacecraft is nearing the end of its epic journey which began six years ago when it blasted off a day late due to a technical issue. On January 15, the spacecraft will return to Earth at the greatest recorded speed of nearly 29,000 miles per hour. The return capsule will be jettisoned and slow its descent using a parachute before landing on the Air Force's Utah Testing and Training Range. The re-entry was supposed to be visible in some areas of the west coast, but overcast weather prevented many from seeing it. The spacecraft was successfully retrieved and scientists are eager to analyze the samples it collected during its journey.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Stardust nears end of epic journey; researchers await its treasure

Donald Brownlee's heart skipped a beat six years ago when the launch of the Stardust spacecraft didn't happen as planned. The University of Washington astronomy professor has experienced many other tense times since the historic mission blasted off a day late, and its return to Earth on Jan. 15 will be just one more white-knuckle moment.

Just before 3 a.m. MST, the spacecraft will jettison its return capsule, which will plunge into Earth's atmosphere at nearly 29,000 miles per hour, the greatest return speed ever recorded. A few moments later, after the capsule slows to just faster than the speed of sound, a parachute will apply the brakes and Stardust will settle to the ground on the Air Force's Utah Testing and Training Range southwest of Salt Lake City. [continued]
http://www.uwnews.org/article.asp?articleID=21550 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It will be 4:30 Sunday Morning here in Michigan when the live NASA webcast begins. I'll be up and watching!

Re-entry is supposed to be visible in some areas along the west coast.

Last edited:
Yeah, I emailed that to a friend of mine in OR, but (suprise, suprise!) the forecast is for thick solid overcast all night.

Right now, in Oregon, there is something strange going on outside... A bright yellow thing has appeared in the sky. The sky which normally is gray with shades of black is now showing patches of blue... Is this the end of the earth? can anybody explain what I am seeing?

I doubt this break in the overcast will last long or be significant enough to catch the reentry which must be after midnight tonight.

Something strange happened here in San Francisco too. The rain clouds went away and the sky turned black! And it is full of lights, hundreds of them.

From here Stardust should pass next to the Polaris at 1:58 local time. The sky is completely clear. Let's hope it stays that way until 2am. Then I can post a picture.

Does everyone have their pocket protectors and popcorn?

I saw nothing.

The San Francisco sky was 100% clear. I'm pretty sure I was looking in the right place at the right time.

I've seen 2 shuttles re-enter, and it's a bright, obvious thing that would catch your eye if you weren't looking for it. But I guess the Stardust probe is very small.

I'm in Berkeley I saw nothing, too. I thought I was just looking in the wrong place!

It was cloudy here, but I noticed that by the time I looked it had already nearly passed. The time frame was very narrow. I realized that I was still looking through a hole in the clouds when it was almost over Utah.

This was the fastest man-made object to ever enter the atmosphere - about 28,000 mph.

Ah, it looks like they found it... waiting... waiting...

I keep thinking how funny it would be if they lost it in Utah...

waiting... okay, they found it. YAY!

I want to see one of these things come down. You can see it with the naked eye right ?

oh wait... it's just the chute...

the suspense is killing me! :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:
I want to see one of these things come down. You can see it with the naked eye right ?

You were in a great spot to see this one. Yes, it was supposed to be visible.

We have overcast here :(

Yesterday I saw Brownlee's press conference for the Stardust NASA mission on one of our public use cable TV channels. All pretty fascinating space material a lot of scientists are eager to analyze. I just recently read Brownlee's well received book of a year or three ago, "Rare Earth". (highly recommended) So can imagine what all that means to that astrobiology community.

...David

Whoot! Good sample return! Saw the pics at Space.com, you can plainly see the impact sights.

1. What is Stardust and its epic journey?

Stardust is a spacecraft launched by NASA in 1999 with the goal of collecting dust particles from a comet and returning them to Earth for analysis. Its epic journey refers to its 12-year voyage to the comet Wild 2 and back.

2. Why is Stardust nearing the end of its journey?

Stardust is running low on fuel after completing its primary mission and two extended missions. It is now in an orbit that will eventually lead it to burn up in Earth's atmosphere.

3. What has Stardust accomplished during its journey?

Stardust has provided valuable data and images of the comet Wild 2, including the discovery of organic materials on its surface. It has also collected dust particles from the comet and returned them to Earth for analysis.

4. What will happen to Stardust once it reaches the end of its journey?

Stardust will enter Earth's atmosphere and burn up, with only a few small fragments possibly reaching the ground. This is a planned and controlled end to the spacecraft's journey.

5. What impact has Stardust's journey had on scientific understanding?

Stardust's mission has greatly expanded our knowledge of comets and the early solar system. Its findings have provided insights into the origin of our solar system and the building blocks of life on Earth.

Back