Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargate episode string theory

1. Aug 18, 2005 #1
    In the string theory equations and such. Are the concepts of how time slows way down near black holes and at very fast speeds still valid?

Like I've studied the equations and such and know about the scenarios of how they would precieve and such.

Infact i'm watching a Stargate episode how it all would seem. I'm also aware of how they flew a clock around the planet real high up and how it created a difference in time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. One of the main motivations behind string theory is to unify Einstein's relativity with quantum physics. All the important features of both are found in string theory.
  4. Aug 19, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

String theory is very good at explaining things already discovered, but less than successful in making predictions. It is so flexible that virtually nothing is excluded... which makes it an ideal candidate for the 'theory of everything'. On the other hand, perhaps a true TOE does not exclude any possibilities, just constrains their probabilities.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?