Stargate SG1 Questions - Get Answers Here!

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
In summary, Stargate SG1 Questions ask why certain symbols are used to determine a destination and whether the geo-centric system is explained adequately on screen.
Some 'symbols' seem to be representations of constellations, others of the essence of the planet (one moon/sun over the 'pyramid' for earth, three over Abydos, etc)---that's one funny thing I've thought about the symbols---if it takes six to fix a planet---and each one six actually represents another planet (?) maybe that could be how? far away--hmmm-----oh, well---I just keep telling myself, "it's only a movie, it's only a movie, ..."

--------------------

and---NICE image, there, captain! (arrgg!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CaptainBarbosa said:
I love Stargate, so much that I even made a 3D computer model of the gate.:D

The reason I think they went to one set of symbols for the TV series is to avoid having to discover the local coordinates for Earth on EVERY single planet they go to.

There are actually several differences between the movie and the shows, not just this one discrepancy in gate workings. One obvious one is the personality of Kurt Russel's O'Neil and Richard Dean Anderson's O'Neill. Though, this one is easily explained by the fact that O'Neil was depressed at the time the movie took place. If your bored, this Wiki Article has a list of a lot of the differences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differences_between_Stargate_and_Stargate_SG-1

Yeah, that O'neil only had 1 'L'. No sense of humor. :D

Kudos if you just got that.;)

CaptainBarbosa said:
Yeah, that O'neil only had 1 'L'. No sense of humor. :D

Kudos if you just got that.;)

That's O'Neill...TWO L's! (Is it sad that I remember this quote?)

Stargate the MOVIE is on the Sci-Fi channel at 7pm central time. We can settle this once and for all. If I'm the only watching, I win by default. :devil:

Evo said:
Stargate the MOVIE is on the Sci-Fi channel at 7pm central time. We can settle this once and for all. If I'm the only watching, I win by default. :devil:

That sounds like a bet----and if I win?

(or if, if you win?)

rewebster said:
That sounds like a bet----and if I win?

(or if, if you win?)
<spit> You watchin' sonny?

We're lookin' fer the return sign needed to get back to Earth and where he found it?

Last edited:
<double-spit> I don't get the scifi channel <plus a groin scratch>

Harks up a big chunk of, well nevermind what it is.

So, wut yer saying, is that Evo's gunna win this bet. <hack> (nails spitoon)

between the <watever she hackin' up and the half o' bottle of rye> lines, she is a thinkin' she got the rope around this one---and she going to be cryin' by when the night's over in 'er pillow

Evo said:
We're lookin' fer the return sign needed to get back to Earth and where he found it?

--the writing's on the wall by the young 'un----ya' yung whip

Last edited:
Hmpfff. Well, anyone can join the contest, s'long as they post before the scene. <spit>

she's already startin' ta tremble

I have my note pad and pencil. :devil:

can you stay awake until about 8:30?

are you going to draw a circle with the pencil around the symbol on the TV screen when the boy writes the symbol on the wall?---(the note pad doesn't make good tissue to cry into)

Last edited:
Rat Bastages, TV guide wasn't correct, the movie started at 6:30, but I tuned in just before they went through the stargate, but I wanted to see the symbols on the Earth side first.

FYI, from our old friend selfAdjoint:

While I'm on SG1 I want to express one beef: they show the mouth of a wormhole (their signature image) as a disk. It would be a sphere, like one of those garden reflecting spheres. Pictures in pop science show a disk because they have suppressed one dimension to make a clear image.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=439691#post439691

The seventh sign appears to be Abados.

Evo said:
The seventh sign appears to be Abados.

yes, and..?

Math Is Hard said:
There's nothing wrong with Star Trek or Stargate. It's the Dr. Who fans who should get a life.
*runs and hides*

Billie Piper is HOT!

Math Is Hard said:
There's nothing wrong with Star Trek or Stargate. It's the Dr. Who fans who should get a life.
*runs and hides*

You'd better hide! Star trek, stargate, and dr who r all pro!

Evo said:
Hmmm, from the movie, it was an alien that was dying and he came to Earth and took over the body of a young Egyptian boy. He was a lone alien, no other of his kind. It didn't get into any other history. I guess they had to flesh it out more for the tv series.

Ra WAS the last of his race! remember at the end when the bomb went off? he wasnt a goa'uld, he was a weird alien that looked a lot like an asgard.

Uh yeah he was goa'uld, but controlling an Asgard. Still I think most of the stuff in the movie are non canon.

Blenton said:
Uh yeah he was goa'uld, but controlling an Asgard. Still I think most of the stuff in the movie are non canon.

he wasnt a goa'uld! goa'uld can't have two hosts at once! his human body disintigrated and you saw an asgard looking thing with sharp teeth. there was no little snake jumping from the human body to an asgard (that would've had to appeared out of nowhere)!

awsed24 said:
he wasnt a goa'uld! goa'uld can't have two hosts at once! his human body disintigrated and you saw an asgard looking thing with sharp teeth. there was no little snake jumping from the human body to an asgard (that would've had to appeared out of nowhere)!

What are you getting all excited about? You are right. He was not a Goa'uld, because the Goa'uld had not been invented yet and had nothing to do with this movie whatsoever (edit: and neither did the Asgard). They were created by the creators of the television show Stargate SG-1 which came well after the movie Stargate. I think the television show, although being inspired from the movie, was not meant to be a direct continuation of the storyline in the movie (because the writers felt free both to contradict its events and to diverge from it as they saw fit).

Blenton probably just didn't know that. That is no reason to freak out on him though. What I want to know is, why have you resurrected a thread that has been dead for more than a year? Also, why is your post count 0 even though you have posted three times in this thread alone? Have you been banned or something?

Srry didn't notice the date.
Srry about getting excited too.
My post count is probably 0 because I just subscribed.

cepheid said:
Also, why is your post count 0 even though you have posted three times in this thread alone?

His post count is zero because posts in GD don't count towards that.

Despite the lack of a head-on attack, many skirmishes and bloody battles raged on for several centuries and, somehow, Ra found himself leaving his Unas host in order to take the body of the Asgard Famrir. However, the Asgard physiology began to reject Ra. Worse, in 9,177 BC, he was injured in a battle with the Asgard. Fleeing his Asgard pursuers, Ra found a lush world in an alien system; Earth.

Within the movie, when Ra became angry the outline of his original alien humanoid form could be seen within the host. This portion is contradicted by Stargate SG-1, where the true Goa'uld is a serpent-like creature which occupies the brain stem in order to control the host. The contradiction is not addressed in the series, but assumed by many fans to simply be artistic license.

There.