Did You Catch These Amazing Stargazing Moments This Weekend?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stargazing
In summary, the conversation focused on the recent clear nights that allowed for capturing photos of the waxing moon, including one where Jupiter's red spot was visible. The conversation also mentioned photos of M51 and neighboring galaxies taken over 4 consecutive nights and the desire to invest in a telescope with better tracking capabilities. The conversation ended with admiration for the photos and a suggestion to submit them to a website.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
First decent weekend of the year- 4 clear nights in a row. Took these of the waxing moon:

DSC_4869-2_filtered_zps9nk4wlaa.jpg

DSC_5134-1_zpsr9y0uc0d.jpg

DSC_5934-1_zpsmeoppewa.jpg

The moon was really close to Jupiter on Sunday night:

4_17_2016_zps2wlkflin.jpg

4 consecutive nights to show the motion of Jupiter's inner moons:

Montage_zpsoa5yfeap.jpg

one night I could make out Jupiter's red spot, not bad for a 6" refractor:

4_13_16-1_zps6eo6x9t0.jpg

And a couple images of M51 and neighboring galaxies: 1 hour total integration time @ ISO 2500

58m_filtered-2_zpsbgbwkqwd.jpg

58m_filtered_1_zpshyvzezsq.jpg

Off to a good start!

Likes Greg Bernhardt, 1oldman2, Fervent Freyja and 5 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Very nice!

Likes Andy Resnick
Yes, very nice pics. The M51 picture is awesome and reminds me why I really want to invest in a good scope that can track for long exposures.

Likes Andy Resnick
nice work Andy, thanks for sharing :)

Likes Andy Resnick
Gorgeous! I can't wait to finish fixing up my first telescope and do the same! Beautiful pictures!

Likes Andy Resnick
Borg said:
Yes, very nice pics. The M51 picture is awesome and reminds me why I really want to invest in a good scope that can track for long exposures.

I too want a scope that can track. But I'm stuck with this silly tracking mount instead! :-p

1oldman2 said:
This is an awesome photo,

Thanks!

Likes 1oldman2

What is stargazing season?

Stargazing season refers to a period of time when the night sky is particularly clear and dark, making it easier to observe and identify celestial objects such as stars, planets, and galaxies.

When does stargazing season start?

The start of stargazing season varies depending on the location and time of year. Generally, it begins in late summer and early fall when the nights are longer and the air is cooler, allowing for better visibility and less atmospheric interference.

What equipment do I need for stargazing?

To fully enjoy stargazing, you will need a few essential pieces of equipment. These include a telescope or binoculars, a star chart or mobile app for identifying objects in the sky, and warm clothing or a blanket to stay comfortable during long observation sessions.

Where is the best place to go stargazing?

The best place for stargazing is typically in an area with minimal light pollution, such as a rural or remote location. You can also visit a local observatory or planetarium for a guided stargazing experience.

What can I expect to see during stargazing season?

During stargazing season, you can expect to see a variety of celestial objects, including stars, planets, constellations, and potentially even meteor showers and other astronomical events. Depending on your equipment and location, you may also be able to see distant galaxies and nebulas.