Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stark effect and electric dipole moments

1. May 15, 2010 #1
    One excersise of my current homework for experimental physics (Ba, 4th term) is giving me troubles, because I have no idea where to start.

Excersise:
    Stark effect: Calculate the electric dipole moment for the interference of 2s and 2p (m=0) states (hydrogen).

The wave functions are given as:

psi_1 = (2)^(-0.5) * (psi_200 + psi_210)
    psi_2 = (2)^(-0.5) * (psi_200 - psi_210)

with:
    psi_200 = 0.25*(2*pi)^(-0.5) * a_0^(-3/2) * (2 - (r/a_0)) * exp(-r/2a_0)
    psi_210 = 0.25*(2*pi)^(-0.5) * a_0^(-3/2) * (r/a_0) * cos(theta) * exp(-r/2a_0)

a_0 is the Bohrian radius

I qualitatively know what the Stark effect is about, but I seem to have no clue how to calculate the dipole moment using wave functions.
    I already searched the internet and my books about the Stark effect and electric dipole moments, but all I found was nothing but descriptions of the effect itself and equations featuring the electric field.

The only idea I had so far was inserting the wave equation into Schrödinger equation in order to calculate the Hamiltonian, but I didn't really succeed by doing so, because I couldn't do anything with it.

How can I calculate the dipole moment using wave functions?
    Is the mathematical description of the Stark effect actually necessary?

Any hints (or book recommendations) would be highly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted