Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stark Effect

1. Aug 10, 2010 #1
    has somebody carried out stark effect experiment in the lab?
    is the effect visible to the eye or is it necessary to keep long exposures of the CCD to observe the effect?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2010 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

Yes, to begin with: Stark did it.

No, it's not visible to the eye. But I don't see why you would use a CCD.

4. Aug 10, 2010 #3
    i tried did the experiment and nothing happened with the field on and off. i used an ordinary digital camera with the maximum exposure but still not a thing happened.

5. Aug 10, 2010 #4

alxm

Science Advisor

Why would you expect to see anything? I doubt very much a digital camera could distinguish the relatively minuscule shifts caused by the Stark effect. You need to use a spectrometer.

6. Aug 10, 2010 #5
    please forgive me. all the while i was using the spectrometer and it's the observation part beyond that i was referring to.i guess i mistyped a lot...my question should be corrected as "after getting the spectrum through the spectrometer, would i be able to witness the splittings with the naked eye? or do i need a camera with high exposures?"

7. Aug 11, 2010 #6

Cthugha

Science Advisor

Guessing at why it did not work without knowing details is complicated.

What is your "sample"? Atoms? Molecules? Heterostructures? What is the resolution of your spectrometer? How large are your fields? Do you have an estimate of how large the shift should be in your case?

8. Aug 11, 2010 #7
    well ,first i used an ordinary hydrogen discharge tube but it's intensity was very weak .therefore i used a helium discharge tube. the field was provided by a rhumkorff induction coil estimated to yield around 50kv.some papers have reported the shifts in early balmer lines to be around 6 angstroms....

9. Aug 11, 2010 #8

DrDu

Science Advisor

If I remember correctly, there is a demonstration experiment of the Stark effect in the "Deutsches Museum" in Munich. The spectrum is displayed on a screen, but I would say that the effect is strong enough to be seen also without a camera.

10. Aug 11, 2010 #9
    thanks for the tip

11. Aug 13, 2010 #10
    still, is there somebody who has done the experiment?
    i have attached an image of my apparatus.......

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook