Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stars and viewing the past

1. Dec 11, 2016 #1
    Hi:smile:. I am new here! My first question:
    We are watching those stars which were present many years ago in the sky. So, basically, we are viewing the past.
    Now, my question is that, if we develop some kind of technology through which we are on such a 'star' and are magnifying earth(just assume), would we be looking at the past?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums! You need to repost your question in the appropriate section. Suffice to say we are always looking at the past, usually it's just a few nanoseconds. When the astronauts were on the moon, they were seeing the Earth as it was 1.25 seconds earlier.

4. Dec 11, 2016 #3
    Okay! Thank you very much for the fast response. I didn't know that it was just a matter of seconds. Thank you again.

5. Dec 11, 2016 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

...er, it is a few seconds if you are looking at the moon. if you are looking at the stars, it is years to thousands of years.

And magnifying just makes an image bigger. it doesn't change how the light got to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted