Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stars are making me deaf

1. Jul 4, 2009 #1
    my teacher told me that if i look at the stars too long i become deaf since the stars emit special elctromagnetic waves which make my ears not work properly. but i dont get why. because stars dont make any sound...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2009 #2
    so now i dont go outside at night since there are the stars there, and for the love of my life, i want to keep my hearing :)

4. Jul 4, 2009 #3
    but my boyfriend sometimes wants to kiss me under the stars, and i have to refuse, and drag him inside. i'm in quite a sticky situation here, and i would prefer science to be on my side rather than heresy.

5. Jul 4, 2009 #4

negitron

Science Advisor

Your teacher is an idiot.

Also, the stars are there during the day; you just cannot see them.

And most critical of all, the Sun is a star. If the premise were true, we'd all be deaf.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  6. Jul 4, 2009 #5

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This topic is too silly to continue.
    No, stars won't make you deaf, and out of 3 possibilities, none justifies continuing this:
    - you are talking nonsense, you've been smoking prohibited stuff or been drinking or whatever
    - your teacher is talking nonsense, has been smoking prohibited stuff, or has been drinking too much, or he's completely nuts.
    - you didn't get a joke your teacher was telling you

In none of these cases, I see the interest of continuing this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook