Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stars, lithium and exoplanets

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    “There are several ways in which a planet can disturb the internal motions of matter in its host star, thereby rearrange the distribution of the various chemical elements and possibly cause the destruction of lithium. It is now up to the theoreticians to figure out which one is the most likely to happen,”

http://www.eso.org/public/outreach/press-rel/pr-2009/pr-42-09.html [Broken]

FYI, a lack of lithium in a star may indicate the presence of exoplanets. This could be a short cut for exoplanet hunters.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

Wallace

Science Advisor

I don't know a great deal about exoplanets, but I know that exoplanet hunters do use the lithium line strength of stars to increase the odds of targetting stars that have planets. I thought it was the reverse though, i.e. high lithium abundance indicated higher chance of having planets, but I may be mistaken.

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    That doesn't seem to be what the ESO is saying.

5. Dec 10, 2009 #4

Wallace

Science Advisor

I just did a quick literature search to sort this out. So, looks like there was a thought a few years ago that stars with planets might have more Li, for instance http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2001Natur.411..163I" paper. Everything I found since then (2002) agrees with the article you linked to. Looks like this latest work is an extensive reconfirmation of the view of most of the last decade.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook