Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stars spectrum questions

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    I'm doing a project about astronomy. I've never done one, I just jumped from quantum physics to here, so I don't think I know anything =.=. To start, I think I need some stars spectrum, but since stars are not as bright as the sun, I don't really know how to have them. Could someone give me some advice of how to have stars spectrum (without using internet), and what equipment do I need...? Thank you very much ^^
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

The spectrum of a star is based on temperature. You can simulate it with light bulbs: do some research on the different types of stars and their temperatures, then compare them to different types of light bulbs and their temperatures.
  4. Mar 15, 2009 #3
    There are stars that are millions of temperature. Exclude them before doing some simulation.
  5. Mar 15, 2009 #4
    Thanks ^^. But I mean the real star spectrum where I can derive the composition of the stars, speed, directions... Is that possible...?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?