Design the Perfect Starship: What Would It Look Like?

In summary, the conversation was about building a starship and discussing what it would look like, what would drive it, and if it would have gravity. The discussion took place on a science forum and the person asking the questions wanted to hear opinions from members of this site. However, there was a debate about why they were discussing it and the difference between this site and the science forum.
KonradKorzenowski
If you could build a starship here and now what would it look like, what would drive it, and would it have gravity yes/no?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There was a http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5017 about this on SFN a while back.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is your point?

I want to hear the opinions members of this site have.

what is the difference between members of this site and members of SFN. many are members of both.

Why are we arguing (I am) about this?

i don't know why you are arguing about it.

it feels like an argument to me

i just asked a question.

Science Forum??

Dang y'all. Like I needed ANOTHER science forum on my daily list... I'm never going to get any work done...

it was a pretty cool thread, iirc. we found out how different systems would work. we determined that a cruiser the size and complexity of the NX-01 would be possible with the notable exceptions of gravity, warp and impulse drives, and transporter.

1. What materials would be used to construct the perfect starship?

The materials used for constructing a starship would depend on various factors such as the purpose of the ship, the environment it will be used in, and the technology available. However, some commonly used materials in science fiction for starship construction include advanced alloys, carbon nanotubes, and ceramic composites.

2. How would the design of the starship support long-distance space travel?

The design of a starship for long-distance space travel would need to consider factors such as speed, fuel efficiency, and sustainability. It would likely include features such as advanced propulsion systems, compact living quarters for the crew, and a self-sustaining ecosystem for food and oxygen production.

3. What would be the ideal shape for a starship?

The ideal shape for a starship would depend on its purpose and the environment it will be used in. Some popular shapes for starships include saucer-shaped, cylindrical, and triangular. The shape would need to be aerodynamic for travel in a planet's atmosphere and efficient for travel in space.

4. How would the interior of the starship be designed for the comfort of the crew?

The interior design of a starship would need to balance functionality and comfort for the crew members. It would likely include living quarters, a mess hall for meals, a medical bay, and recreational areas. The design would also need to consider factors such as artificial gravity and lighting to mimic a comfortable environment for humans.

5. What safety features would be included in the design of the starship?

The safety features of a starship would be crucial for the well-being of the crew and the success of the mission. Some essential safety features would include a robust shielding system to protect against radiation and meteoroids, emergency escape pods, and redundant systems for crucial functions such as life support and propulsion.