1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Start writting in science

Tags:
  1. Jul 30, 2014 #1
    Hi guys,

I started to write articles in science, especially high energy physics and LHC news, I made
    a facebook page but still my friends only see it, so have you any suggestions about any journals
    or websites accept articles from beginners ..

Also any suggestions for me to make this work more professional like is there better place on internet to publish my work on other than facebook or how to promote my page freely .

Bests,
    S.S.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You mean actual scientific papers in High Energy Physics? Are you an undergrad or grad student right now? In that case, you should contact a professor to work with him. She/he will know where to publish the right papers. In general, you should look at the papers you read for your research for an idea on where to publish papers.

4. Jul 30, 2014 #3
    No, I don't mean actual scientific paper, I mean ordinary news articles .. like those in symmetry magazine.

5. Jul 30, 2014 #4
    So it looks like you are interested in science journalism. The field of journalism in general needs people with a better understanding of science - so you would still want to start there. What is your background thus far? It would help a lot to know that.

For example, picking someone at random from symmetry magazine, I see that the author has a physics undergraduate degree, interned at fermilab, and then got a graduate degree (it doesn't say which) in science writing at Johns Hopkins. (http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/archive/archive_2012/today12-05-10.html)

Here's an article on another author there http://inmenlo.com/2011/06/09/lori-...s-on-at-slac-intelligible-for-the-rest-of-us/

So two degrees, one in English, one in physics.

So the lesson we should be learning here is that to be a science writer you need to know a lot about writing and science! It's a good goal, but you will need some education to pursue it.

-Dave K

6. Jul 30, 2014 #5
    That's so interesting, I really love science and writing .. but of course as you say learning is so important ..

About my background I graduated from special physics department , then continued to get master degree in
    theoretical physics, topic related to high energy physics and LHC so that field which I can write about, that what
    I know .. so may be I can say I have the first degree about physics ..

About English , as I'm not a native speaker, may be I should to search for a proper course.

Thanks,
    S.S

7. Jul 30, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's ok, you don't need to write in english. But some courses on journalism and writing (in whatever language) will come in handy. Certainly if you want to get hired by some magazine or newspaper, they will want to see those credentials.

8. Jul 30, 2014 #7

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

We need more scientific journalists in my opinion - or at least more of a focus on science in general media.

A facebook page is one thing, but if you really want to break into the world of science writing, you might want to try starting a regular, professional blog.

Something else to try is contacting your local newspapers. Depending on where you live, there may be opportunities for you to contribute a weekly column. Such opportunities are unlikely to pay at first, but they are opportunities to build up a reputation. They can also point people to your blog. From there you can build up. Remember, you don't need to just target science-focussed media. It can also help to target general interest or tangential markets that may have an interest in what you have to say.

It's also a good idea to practice proper writing all the time. On internet forums it's easy to get lazy, use poor grammar and slack on proper punctuation, etc. But if you want people to read what you write, you have to make it easy and enjoyable for them.

9. Jul 30, 2014 #8
    Great! And yes, if you want to write in English, you will have to spend a lot of time working on those skills. It can be done.

Of course, you don't have to write in English. But whatever language you write in, your writing skills must be quite good.

What's nice is that you have the science background. Now work on the writing. I'd say keep writing for now. Even if you started a blog (in your native language) you'd be better qualified to write about such things than most journalists.

-Dave K

10. Jul 30, 2014 #9
    Actually I want to take science journalism as a part time work, I mean I have already my work in research and teaching, so what I want to contact some scientific magazine or website if they publish my articles ..
    Anyway stay courses important to make my situation better .

S.S

11. Jul 30, 2014 #10
    Thank you all for advice .. Actually It's my opinion too that we need more and more science writing.

Bests,
    S.S.

12. Jul 30, 2014 #11
    I think your opinion is shared with all the members here. Good luck.

13. Jul 31, 2014 #12
    These are two of the best resources I have found re "How to become a science writer":

Legendary Ed Young asked more then 100 of his colleagues to briefly tell their stories - how they became science writers and what advice they would give:

On the Origin of Science Writers

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2010/07/29/on-the-origin-of-science-writers/

Scientic American was searching specifically for scientists-turned-writers who started their careers by blogging:

How to break into science writing using your blog and social media

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ng-using-your-blog-and-social-media-sci4hels/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook