Gr.12 Physics Help: Drawing Tangents for Velocity/Accel/Speed

• Thread starter F.B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a need to learn how to draw tangents of curves in Gr.12 physics. A website is recommended as a resource, and a method involving a pocket mirror is also suggested.
F.B
I just started Gr.12 physics and I am sort of lost. Does anyone know a site where i can learn perfectly how to draw tangents of curves to determine instantaneous velocity or acceleration or even speed. I really need to learn this stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drawing tangents to curves? Here' a method I learned in high school- take a small pocket mirror and line it up approximately perpendicular to the curve. Turn it slightly until the reflection of the curve in the mirror appears to smoothly continue it. Now the mirror really is accurately perpendicular to the curve at that point. Now you can turn and use the mirror in the same way to draw a perpendicular to that new line at the same point. This second line will be tangent to the curve.

1. What is the purpose of drawing tangents for velocity, acceleration, and speed?

Drawing tangents allows us to visualize the rate of change of these quantities over time. This can help us understand the behavior of objects in motion and make predictions about their future movements.

2. How do I draw tangents for velocity, acceleration, and speed?

To draw a tangent, you will need to plot a point on the graph and then draw a straight line that touches the curve at that point. The slope of this line represents the value of the quantity at that particular point in time.

3. What is the difference between velocity, acceleration, and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes an object's displacement over time, including its direction. Acceleration is also a vector quantity that measures the rate of change of an object's velocity. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's velocity without considering its direction.

4. Why is it important to analyze tangents in physics?

Analyzing tangents allows us to understand the behavior of objects in motion, which is essential in physics. By looking at the rate of change of velocity, acceleration, and speed, we can make predictions and calculations related to motion, such as determining an object's position at a certain time or its acceleration due to a force.

5. Can tangents be used for other quantities besides velocity, acceleration, and speed?

Yes, tangents can be used for any quantity that changes over time, such as temperature, pressure, or voltage. Drawing tangents allows us to analyze the rate of change of these quantities and make predictions about their future behavior.