How does using a 12v starter motor on 24v affect power and current draw?

In summary, using a 12V 1.2kW starter motor on a 24V system will result in the maximum power being twice as high as it would be with a 12V system. The actual power and current drawn will depend on the load, but it could range from 2.4kW to 4.8kW, with a corresponding current of 100 to 200A. This can lead to faster acceleration of the engine, but also potential risks of overheating and damage to the motor. It is not recommended to use a 12V starter motor in a 24V system unless it is an emergency measure.
balraj
hello, if i use a 12v 1.2kw starter motor on 24v. how the power will change and how much current will it consume.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That depends on how fast you allow it to spin up. I can tell you from experience that 6 volt starters have been used for years on systems that were updated to 12 volts.

balraj said:
hello, if i use a 12v 1.2kw starter motor on 24v. how the power will change and how much current will it consume.

1.2kW will be the maximum power the starter can deliver (under some conditions specified by the maker). The actual power and current drawn will depend on the load (how difficult it is for the engine to turn over).

A 12V starter on 24V will probably try to turn around twice as fast. How much power it takes to turn the load twice as fast is anyone's guess. Could be anywhere from double to four times the power. Say 2.4kW to 4.8kW. That would equate to current of 100 to 200A.

Google will tell you what might happen..

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?31476-Converting-a-12v-starter-to-24v

I'd call a 12V starter in a 24V system an 'emergency capability' at best. I ran that way after I bought a new starter from CarQuest. Despite assurances that it would work, it was never ideal. It spun much faster than it should have, which was great some of the time, but more than half the time it seemed to fail to engage the flex plate teeth. Later when replacing the flex plate, I found some teeth broken off and other places where they'd been chewed up.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...NEED-HELP!&s=bf043bc6013ac56b871864ed9e25743d

So my 24v starter went out the other day and I unknowingly bought a 12 volt one from the auto store. Laugh if you want, but I told the guy 24 and he didn't get it, I now am much more knowledgeable on the subject. Anyways, I got my 24v back and had it rebuilt, the problem is the electrical is screwed up. What I know happened when I put the 12v in is the driver side alternater battery wire caught on fire, as well as melted one of the 12v wires coming off the plastic power block next to the glow plug solenoid.

In my opinion, if the starter it is an D.C. motor provided with permanent magnet poles then at start-0 rpm-the current will be double than at 12 V but the torque will be also double and then the starting time will be a half of the previous. In this case the temperature will rise from-let's say 100oC to 150oC. It depends on how many times per an hour you need to start it and if the pause duration will be enough to get cooling

Here's mt simplistic thinking:

Consider a series wound starter at stall:

Current with 24 volts applied will be twice what it would be with 12 volts applied.
So armature current and field current(they're one and the same) will both get doubled.
Doubling field current will about double flux.
Locked rotor torque , being product of armature current and flux (and a proportionality constant) , will quadruple.
So,
Initial power input to the starter motor also quadruples (2X volts and 2X amps) and the engine being started will be accelerated by the starter noticeably more quickly. Since torque of a series machine is proportional to square of current through it
If we then consider the engine being started to be a constant torque load,
24V cranking speed will settle at whatever RPM gives same current as 12V cranking speeed, probably just a little over double RPM .

Same current X twice the volts = twice the power delivered to starter .

Power at any other RPM will fall someplace between 2X of a stalled permanent magnet machine and 4X of a stalled series machine.

Actual number of course depends largely on the condition of your battery, cables and starter brushes.

old jim

For starting an IC engine, in most cases, I don't think the starter motor ever reaches steady state, unless the IC engine is balky. If the IC engine starts promptly, the starter motor is likely still accelerating when the greater speed of the IC engine causes it to disengage.

Old Jim hit on the key point, I think, when he observed that the torque is proportional to the square of the current through the motor. The motor impedance is the same at a particular speed, no matter what the applied voltage, so the current should double. This would give four times the electromagnetic torque and correspondingly much faster acceleration. It will also give rise to much more rapid heating, which is also proportional to the square of the current.

Likes jim hardy

What is "starter motor current draw"?

Starter motor current draw refers to the amount of electrical current that flows through a starter motor during operation. It is typically measured in amps and is an important factor in determining the health and efficiency of a starter motor.

Why is starter motor current draw important?

Starter motor current draw is important because it can indicate potential issues with the starter motor, such as worn out brushes or a failing solenoid. It can also help diagnose other problems in the electrical system of a vehicle, such as a weak battery or a faulty starter relay.

What is considered a normal starter motor current draw?

The exact amount of current draw can vary depending on the type and size of the starter motor, as well as the specific vehicle it is installed in. However, in general, a healthy starter motor should draw between 60 to 150 amps during cranking.

What can cause high starter motor current draw?

High starter motor current draw can be caused by a number of factors, such as a weak battery, corroded or loose connections, damaged starter motor components, or a faulty starter relay. It can also be a sign of a larger issue with the vehicle's electrical system.

How can starter motor current draw be tested?

Starter motor current draw can be tested using a multimeter set to the DC amp scale. The positive lead of the multimeter should be connected to the positive battery terminal, while the negative lead should be connected to the starter motor's positive terminal. Then, the engine should be cranked and the multimeter will display the current draw. This test should be repeated multiple times to get an accurate reading.