Starter Ribbon: OP Avatar Helps Remember Threads

• Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
In summary, the "Starter" ribbon on OP's avatar is a helpful addition that helps to remember who is asking and who is answering in long threads. Some people prefer the "OrigPoster" ribbon, while others find "Starter" to be more confusing. FirstPoster is a good option, but is a little long.
DrClaude
Mentor
I like the new "Starter" ribbon on the OP's avatar. It really helps to remember who's asking and who's answering when threads get long.

Likes Danger, RonL, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Holy baloney, so that's what it means. I think I've just flunked another intelligence test.

Likes Suraj M and Evo
I just opened PF and saw that ribbon. I thought it was given for members who joined PF recently :eek:

Likes Suraj M, Danger and DataGG
adjacent said:
I just opened PF and saw that ribbon. I thought it was given for members who joined PF recently :eek:

Yes, me too..

why not use OP or OrigPoster? as the confusion factor is high with Starter.

Likes Suraj M
Somehow my little pea brain caught on the instant I read starter, it's a wonderful help for any length thread:D

Likes Greg Bernhardt
jedishrfu said:
why not use OP or OrigPoster?
OP is even more confusing to people fairly new to the forum game. OrigPoster is only marginally better.

FirstPoster? or just Poster? NewThread? ThreadOwner? ThreadPoster?

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
FirstPoster? or just Poster?
FirstPoster is a little long, the text is already fairly small. Poster is about as good as Starter imo.

1stPoster? 1stPost? :-)

That's all folks...

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
FirstPoster is a little long, the text is already fairly small. Poster is about as good as Starter imo.
Please don't go messing with my "moment" :eek::D

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I like "First Post", I didn't understand what "starter' meant either. Can we please find a more subdued color? That bright orange is jolting.

Evo said:
I like "First Post", I didn't understand what "starter' meant either. Can we please find a more subdued color? That bright orange is jolting.
That might look strange if the thread starter were to make additional post, :rolleyes::nb):):D

PS.I have an extra pair of sunglasses. :)

Last edited:
Once I eliminated it being an abbreviation for "charcoal starter" I figured it out. I like it like is.

Likes RonL
adjacent said:
That was my first guess as well (saw it at a user with two posts). I dropped that theory when I saw Greg having one in a thread ;).
Does "Thread Starter" fit with a second line?

mfb said:
That was my first guess as well (saw it at a user with two posts). I dropped that theory when I saw Greg having one in a thread ;).
Does "Thread Starter" fit with a second line?
Will block too much of the avatar

How about a pale blue or green, or maybe not showing them in GD and Feedback? :)

adjacent said:
Me too ! I guess we need to be more observant but I've been busy eating pizza.

Likes OmCheeto
It could also be done without messing with the avatar. Perhaps changing the colour of the nickname or adding a symbol after OP's nick? Perhaps * or # or whatever..

Having said that, "Starter" is not terribly bad.. It works. We're being obsessive here.

Likes RonL
DataGG said:
It could also be done without messing with the avatar. Perhaps changing the colour of the nickname or adding a symbol after OP's nick? Perhaps * or # or whatever..
Sure but then it's even more abstract to casual visitors :)

Keep picking and he's going to switch it to a "starter's pistol" and not use blanks.

The only change I would make, is a shade of blue that compliments Monique's beautiful blue eye avatar:cool::oops:

I actually find it quite handy, now that I know what it means. Before, I just thought that it was a new member. I hadn't been in any threads started by old-timers whose avatars were still on screen by the time I arrived.

I did not know what it meant either. I thought it was a badge for someone who starts lots of threads or something.

However, now that I know, I really like it.

I don't mind it being really obvious - it helps when scanning down a page of 25 threads.

I can't think of a better one-word label.

Clearly the solution is to add another ribbon on the right upper corner so that they say, "Thread" "Starter". After that ribbons can be added across the bottom, the middle, and then behind the avatar picture for those in the southern hemisphere.

Likes adjacent
I knew instantly what it meant. Leave it the way it is, IMO.

BTW. My mouse wheel love you Greg.

Likes RonL and Greg Bernhardt
I don't like it , it blocks out my fishes head :P

Likes Greg Bernhardt and RonL
thankz said:
I don't like it , it blocks out my fishes head :p

You can never start a thread,oo) if we can't see the head, how would we know who you are? :D

Likes mfb
thankz said:
I don't like it , it blocks out my fishes head :p

You could mirror your avatar image so you're heading in the other direction.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
jedishrfu said:
You could mirror your avatar image so you're heading in the other direction.
And lose his ass?! :bugeye:

1. What is the purpose of the Starter Ribbon?

The Starter Ribbon is designed to help users remember threads on online forums or discussion boards. It serves as a visual reminder of the threads that a user has participated in.

2. How does the OP Avatar help with this?

The OP (Original Poster) Avatar is displayed on the Starter Ribbon, making it easy for users to identify which threads they have created or started. This helps them keep track of their own threads.

3. Can I customize the appearance of the Starter Ribbon?

Yes, you can customize the color and design of the Starter Ribbon to fit your personal preferences. This can be done through the settings or preferences section of your forum account.

4. Will the Starter Ribbon work on all types of online forums?

The Starter Ribbon is designed to work on most commonly used online forums and discussion boards. However, it may not be compatible with all platforms, so it is best to check with the forum's guidelines or support team for more information.

5. Can the Starter Ribbon be turned off or removed?

Yes, the Starter Ribbon can be turned off or removed from your forum account. This can be done through the settings or preferences section. Keep in mind that once it is removed, the threads you have participated in may no longer be visually marked.