Starting a 12V DC Motor: Do You Need a Rheostat or Face-Plate Starter?

In summary: Can you please advise?In summary, the book says that we need a rheostat or face-plate starter for a 12V dc motor, but if there is no need on a rheostat, we can directly connect the supply to the motor's 4 pins. The biggest problem with using a DC motor directly is the tremendous reaction torque when the rotor accelerates.
StealthRay
Hi,

Question 1:

can anyone tell me do we need a rheostat or face-plate starter for a 12V dc motor?

I read in the book and it says the starting current for the motor is very high and it might burn out the armature. I was wondering if I could just directly connect the 12V supply to the 12V dc motor?

Or do I need put a rheostat and gradually decrease the resistance as the motor picks up the speed.

Question 2:

I just bought some DC motors from the store and some of the motors have 4 pins. I can see the +ve and -ve sign on the motor but there are also 2 more pins labelled as " l ".

Can anyone tell me what the 2 pins are for?

Thank you for your kind help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
All the DC motors, all small, I have used have had no starting resistors.

The common electric, DC motor, drill has none but is run in AC of course.

I think it more to reduce damage to the brushes.

I would have thought if a soft start is required these days it would be done electronically, switch mode.

Maybe there are 4 terminals to allow direction switching.

How big a 12-volt motor are you talking about? Multi horsepower? Usually, 12-volt motors now are permanent magnet stators or rotors. Usually with DC armature/commutator and PM stator. 4 wires implies that the motor might have a wound stator, so that reversing polarity of one pair will reverse direction. This would be a shunt-wound dc motor. If you can reverse direction by reversing the polarity of the armature, the motor has a PM stator. Some specialized motors have a PM rotor, and wound stator that is switched by a Hall-Effect magnetic probe. We need more information,

Thank you for replying.

I would have put in more information if I have them.There was no spec available when i bought them. I only know it operates on 12V DC. There is a code or serial number.I googled it up but couldn't find the datasheet.

I just want to know if I can just directly connect the supply to the pin or do I need to have rheostat to limit the starting current.

If there is no need on rheostat,then i can just apply power to the 4 pins and test.

I have a 12-volt automotive electric radiator fan motor. It is a 2-terminal motor with permanent magnet stator. I have connected 12 volts to it directly. The biggest problem is the tremendous reaction torque when the rotor accelerates. If it isn't bolted down, it will roll all over the floor when I plug it in. I suspect a soft start is better on the commutator.

1. What is the purpose of a rheostat or face-plate starter when starting a 12V DC motor?

A rheostat or face-plate starter is used to control the speed of a 12V DC motor. It allows for a smooth and gradual increase in voltage, which prevents the motor from starting too quickly and potentially damaging the motor or connected equipment.

2. How do I determine if I need a rheostat or face-plate starter for my 12V DC motor?

The type of starter needed for a 12V DC motor depends on its starting current and the load it will be powering. A rheostat starter is suitable for motors with low starting currents and light loads, while a face-plate starter is better for motors with high starting currents and heavy loads.

3. Can I use a rheostat or face-plate starter with any 12V DC motor?

No, it is important to choose a starter that is compatible with your specific motor. Factors such as the motor's starting current and load requirements must be considered to ensure proper functioning and prevent damage.

4. How do I install a rheostat or face-plate starter for my 12V DC motor?

The installation process may vary depending on the specific starter and motor, but generally, it involves connecting the starter to the motor's circuit and adjusting the settings to match the motor's requirements. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a rheostat or face-plate starter for my 12V DC motor?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the starter is properly installed and secured to prevent any accidents or malfunctions. It is also important to monitor the motor's speed and load to prevent overheating or overloading. If any issues arise, it is recommended to consult a professional for assistance.