Preparing for Grad School: A Organic Chemistry Review

In summary, the individual is starting their PhD in Organic Chemistry and wants to review all of their undergraduate content. They did well in labs but not perfectly in lectures and want to be well prepared for grad school. They plan on reviewing by going through old Chem GREs and using an OChem book to practice problems and solidify their understanding of mechanisms and stereochemistry. They also mention using Clayden Warren Greeves as a resource for practice problems.
kekulekangaroo
I’m starting my PhD in Organic Chemistry this Fall. I want to review all of undergraduate Organic Chemistry and I’m trying to develop a plan of attack. I did alright in lectures but not perfectly and did quite well in labs. I don’t want to be bombarded in grad school and want to have a proper review. In addition, I finished undergrad a while ago and haven’t used my Organic knowledge for sometime. Looking for advice on how to be well prepared.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would probably at least go through old Chem GREs and grab an OChem book and start reviewing problems. You'll want to make sure you have a good handle on different mechanisms and how they affect things like stereochemistry, in addition to doing synthesis problems.

Likes kekulekangaroo and DrClaude
Maybe go through the problems in Clayden Warren Greeves?

Likes kekulekangaroo

1. What is the purpose of "Preparing for Grad School: A Organic Chemistry Review"?

The purpose of "Preparing for Grad School: A Organic Chemistry Review" is to provide a comprehensive review of organic chemistry concepts and skills that are necessary for success in graduate school. It covers topics such as nomenclature, functional groups, reaction mechanisms, and spectroscopy.

2. Who should use "Preparing for Grad School: A Organic Chemistry Review"?

"Preparing for Grad School: A Organic Chemistry Review" is designed for students who are planning to pursue a graduate degree in a field related to organic chemistry. It can also be useful for current graduate students who need to refresh their knowledge of organic chemistry concepts.

3. What is the format of "Preparing for Grad School: A Organic Chemistry Review"?

"Preparing for Grad School: A Organic Chemistry Review" is typically a book or online resource that includes review materials, practice problems, and answer keys. It may also include supplemental materials such as flashcards or study guides.

4. Is "Preparing for Grad School: A Organic Chemistry Review" a substitute for taking an organic chemistry course?

No, "Preparing for Grad School: A Organic Chemistry Review" is not a substitute for taking an organic chemistry course. It is meant to supplement and reinforce the material covered in a course. It is important to take a formal course to fully understand and master organic chemistry concepts.

5. How can "Preparing for Grad School: A Organic Chemistry Review" help me prepare for graduate school?

"Preparing for Grad School: A Organic Chemistry Review" can help you prepare for graduate school by providing a thorough review of organic chemistry concepts and skills. It can also help you identify any areas where you may need additional practice or review. By mastering organic chemistry, you will be better equipped to succeed in graduate school and in your future career in the sciences.