Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting Definitions

1. Dec 11, 2003 #1

Since, we are trying to hold dialogue of some kind, here are some terms, as they are defined by one website:

The term Matter:

• Something that occupies space and can be perceived by one or more senses; a physical body, a physical substance, or the universe as a whole.
    • Physics. Something that has mass and exists as a solid, liquid, gas, or plasma
    • A specific type of substance: inorganic matter.
    • Discharge or waste, such as pus or feces, from a living organism.
    • Philosophy. In Aristotelian and Scholastic use, that which is in itself undifferentiated and formless and which, as the subject of change and development, receives form and becomes substance.
    • The substance of thought or expression as opposed to the manner in which it is stated or conveyed.
    • A subject of concern, feeling, or action: matters of foreign policy; a personal matter. See Synonyms at subject.
    • Trouble or difficulty: What's the matter with your car?
    • An approximated quantity, amount, or extent: The construction will last a matter of years.
    • Something printed or otherwise set down in writing: reading matter.
    It is hoped the above will give you an idea of how the term is defined.

You can find the source of all of the above definitions at the following site:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2003 #2
    Second Term

The site again is:

The second term is Space:

• Mathematics. A set of elements or points satisfying specified geometric postulates: non-Euclidean space.
    • The infinite extension of the three-dimensional region in which all matter exists.
    • The expanse in which the solar system, stars, and galaxies exist; the universe.
    • The region of this expanse beyond Earth's atmosphere.
    • An extent or expanse of a surface or three-dimensional area: Water covered a large space at the end of the valley.
    • A blank or empty area: the spaces between words.
    • An area provided for a particular purpose: a parking space.
    • Reserved or available accommodation on a public transportation vehicle.
    • A period or interval of time
    • A little while: Let's rest for a space.
    • Sufficient freedom from external pressure to develop or explore one's needs, interests, and individuality: “The need for personal space inevitably asserts itself” (Maggie Scarf).
    • Music. One of the intervals between the lines of a staff.
    • Printing. One of the blank pieces of type or other means used for separating words or characters.
    • One of the intervals during the telegraphic transmission of a message when the key is open or not in contact.
    • Blank sections in printed material or broadcast time available for use by advertisers.

Do not reply to any of my posts unless you understand any of the above definitions.
  4. Dec 11, 2003 #3

Staff: Mentor

Re: Second Term

You'll need to drop that attitude if you wish to continue posting on this board.
  5. Dec 11, 2003 #4
    And you need

to recieve an education if you wish to be listened to.

I have been nice, now its time for you to back off.
  6. Dec 11, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just thought I would note this momentous occasion. This is the first time I have ever felt the urge to delete a thread in TD.

Keep trying, I will pull the trigger if the obnoxious attitude continues.
  7. Dec 11, 2003 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I concur, cap'n. [zz)]

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?