Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting learning number theory

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1
    Hi guys I am really interested in number theory and I want to start studying it,because I am interested in logic of numbers.

Do you recommend any book to start with ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2
    I bought Tom M. Apostol's book Introduction to Analytic Number Theory. So far it seems pretty readable. He even says that its accessible to sophisticated high school students. So make of that what you will!

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3
    Richard Crandall Carl Pomerance, Prime Numbers - A Computational Perspective.pdf

5. Oct 6, 2011 #4
    Bach, Shalit: Algorithmic Number Theory

6. Oct 7, 2011 #5
    Thanks alot guys sorry for late reply just noticed the message.

I have 3 years of computer programming background,so hopefully I will get by these book with ease.

7. Oct 8, 2011 #6
    then perhaps you will not miss: 'Yan: Number Theory for Computig'

8. Oct 8, 2011 #7

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Classical Introduction to Modern Number Theory, Ireland and Rosen.

9. Oct 9, 2011 #8
    Cool I will I am gonna start with these books and then move on to more advanced books :).

10. Nov 5, 2011 #9
    This is not exactly a reply... But since I am also looking for a good book on Number Theory, I decided to post my question here. I hope you don't mind.

Do any of the books above contain exercise problems with answers/solutions?

I find that solving sample problems is the best way for me to learn. So I am looking for a book with good amount of exercises with answers/solutions at the back or with a solution manual available to purchase. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

11. Mar 11, 2012 #10
    When I took number theory in the fall we used Number Theory: A Lively Introduction, by Pommersheim, Marks, and Flapan. It's good in that its explanations are clear and simple and if you haven't written proofs before it provides a good introduction, but I suspect it is too simplistic for your purposes. It's a fun book and the math content is serious, but it's not the most rigorous book you could get. I'm also familiar with Tattersall's Elementary Number Theory in Nine Chapters, which is for more sophisticated students. My professor says it's a good introduction, but I found it to be riddled with typos. It does have some rather subtle proofs in the exercises, so it's interesting in that respect.

The disadvantage of both these books is that neither has answers in the back. I haven't looked for a solution manual, so I don't know about that.

12. Mar 11, 2012 #11
    It dosen't really teach you a lot of mathematics, but Fermat's Enigma by Simon Singh. It is really engaging and helps to explain the history of some of the more famous topics in number theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook