Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting life on another planet

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Assuming we can ever find another habitable planet and can get there, how the heck would we start to colonise it.
    If there is water, vegetation and there is~the same climate of Earth.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2008 #2
    To get the rough idea, play alpha centauri.

4. Dec 7, 2008 #3
    I would assume by traveling there with an array of equipment.

5. Dec 9, 2008 #4
    We can even start life on planets that do not resemble Earth. We should start by polluting it.

6. Dec 9, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well wolram - a mummy physicist and a daddy physicist who love each other very much have a special sort of cuddle and ......

7. Dec 9, 2008 #6
    infect it. send sheep. fishes. piggies. whatever can survive on the vegetation and is useful and not a threat to us. and other vegetation, like fruits and legumes, that are useful to us. we show up a few years later when the populations of these animals are at sustainable levels, with knives and shears and spears.

8. Dec 10, 2008 #7

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't even need to have the same conditions presently found on earth, to colonize a planet. There is a concept of terraformation or planet engineering. There are lots of discussions on how to accomplish this. Here is a one starting point.

We also have some threads on terraformation. Here is one on terraforming ganymede.

If a planet already has the same conditions we have on earth, all we need to do is; build an ark, fill it with life, and take a trip over there and set up shop.. It would be a good idea to try out all the lifeforms in an *engineered biosphere on earth first, to make sure we didn't forget to bring along something important. :uhh:

*engineered biosphere - this concept was attempted in the Biosphere2

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  9. Dec 10, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

You mean some guys dips their wicks and nine month later we have some little candles.

10. Dec 10, 2008 #9
  11. Dec 10, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

12. Dec 11, 2008 #11
    I've always wondered if mining chemicals out of the gas giants will ever be feasible; there seem to be lots of engineering problems surrounding that. But if so, and if it could be done with some sort of autonomous robots, it seems like they could be used to fling blocks of water ice and whatever else would be needed for terraforming towards Mars or Venus. After a few hundred years of that maybe we can start selling real estate.

13. Dec 11, 2008 #12
    Yes, but this is on another planet, so the spawns would spit acid and have 5 legs. I mean, they're aliens, right?

14. Dec 11, 2008 #13
    That's the problem with all of these get-rich-quick schemes. They're not quick. Hundreds of years? I don't have that kind of time. I got things to see and people to do.

So, give me more time and I'll be able to wait until your shiny robots painstakingly transfer ice from a red giant 3 AU away 1kg block at a time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?