Starting Out in Physics: Self-Study Tips for Math & Physics

• Thread starter Leviathan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Leviathan found a website that provides a nice tutorial of math and physics. He is currently working on improving his math skills and is interested in formally studying physics in the future.
Leviathan
Hello. Well, when I was younger I avoided enagement in the study of mathematics and physics, pursuing other schools of thought outside of the physical sciences. Recently however, I've noticed that all of my acquired knowledge from various disciplines have been conglomerating, and interconnecting into each other. This process has made me realize just how much I am missing. I'm at the stage where I feel it is time to get a good grasp on physics. My first problem is: my math was never great, and I haven't studied any math at all in years. My second problem: I've never studied physics as a disicipline itself in high school. It's pretty embarassing really, but I am interested in starting through self-study and then maybe getting involved in a formal course of some sort in the future. Can anyone point me in the direction where I can get a nice start on math and physics? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Leviathan, you can read http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/BBoard.html#1dkin . That should hopefully get you started. They use really simple language. You should really get a hold on math though. Unfortunately I don't know of any math links. My signature also has a link "Video Physics", its 30 mins physics videos. But they use a little calculus unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leviathan said:
Hello. Well, when I was younger I avoided enagement in the study of mathematics and physics, pursuing other schools of thought outside of the physical sciences. Recently however, I've noticed that all of my acquired knowledge from various disciplines have been conglomerating, and interconnecting into each other. This process has made me realize just how much I am missing. I'm at the stage where I feel it is time to get a good grasp on physics. My first problem is: my math was never great, and I haven't studied any math at all in years. My second problem: I've never studied physics as a disicipline itself in high school. It's pretty embarassing really, but I am interested in starting through self-study and then maybe getting involved in a formal course of some sort in the future. Can anyone point me in the direction where I can get a nice start on math and physics? Thanks.
With the internet, it's pretty easy to start picking up where you last left off.. (education wise)
Take a look at Lamar University's Math Tutorial Page -> http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu
It has a full review starting from Algebra, and ending at Calculus III/Differential Equations/Linear Algebra.
The math isn't too bad, there are tons of examples and the tutorials are easy to learn from.

Thank you. I'm very gracious for both the physics and math page. Hopefully by summer I can contribute something worthy. Once again, thank you.

1. What are the essential math skills needed to start studying physics?

The most important math skills for studying physics are algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. These topics will be used extensively in solving physics problems and understanding physical concepts.

2. How can I improve my understanding of math and physics concepts?

Practice is key for improving understanding in math and physics. Solve as many problems as you can and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed. It's also helpful to visualize concepts through diagrams or real-life examples.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge in physics to start self-studying?

No, prior knowledge in physics is not necessary. However, having a strong foundation in math is crucial for understanding physics concepts and problem-solving.

4. What are some helpful resources for self-studying physics and math?

There are many resources available for self-studying physics and math, including textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems. Some recommended resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and textbooks such as "University Physics" by Young and Freedman.

5. How can I stay motivated while self-studying physics and math?

Setting specific goals and creating a study schedule can help with motivation. It's also important to take breaks and reward yourself for completing tasks. Additionally, joining study groups or finding a study partner can provide support and motivation.