Starting out with Aerodynamics?

In summary, this will be a very interesting subject for me because I am already familiar with physics and engineering. I will start by reading one of the recommended books and websites and then proceed to study more in depth if I feel it is necessary.
OsiriS^
First off, sorry if this is the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Secondly, this will be just an interest because I've already applied to and chosen by university degree courses so I'm not considering a career in aerodynamics.

I want to start out with just understanding the concept of it. That's pretty much it really! It's one of those things where I look at a race car and think "Man! I'd love to know how they made that so sleek and aerodynamic" and I'm sure there's some mind-boggling maths/physics knowledge that goes into it and even though I know nothing about it - it intrigues me greatly :uhh:

I am a physics student so I don't think it'll be too difficult a concept for me to grasp and I feel my knowledge in physics will compliment this subject. Does anyone know any good books and/or websites where I can get started?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Urrrrrm Frank M White - Fluid Mechanics (ISBN 0072281928) isn't a bad place to start!

brewnog said:
Urrrrrm Frank M White - Fluid Mechanics (ISBN 0072281928) isn't a bad place to start!
This one?

Give this a quick once through. It will provide a bit of background and a taste of what is to come for you.

http://www.desktopaero.com/appliedaero/appliedaero.html

Here's another link that gets more involved without getting overwhelming (a good read).

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/short.html

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like the combination of physics, engineering, and aerodynamics, you may want to consider a career in aeronautical engineering!

Check out these websites:
http://www.ueet.nasa.gov/StudentSite/aeronautics.html
http://www.science-engineering.net/aeronautical_engineering.htm

z-component

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO... the best book on aerodynamics... not just from an air vehicle perspective (as the title may imply). The first few chapters really cover the basics as good as any text I've ever seen. (And as an Aero Eng I've read PLENTY.)

Introduction to Flight
by John D. Anderson
ISBN: 007109282X

Cheers...

I'll second LunchBox's suggestion.

That book was used to teach my sophomore level intro to aerodynamics class and is very good at presenting the basics.

For a slightly more advanced look, I'll recommend "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by the same author.

Last edited:
I think that's the one I started with too -- probably still in my parents' basement somewhere. Great book.

Great info lads.

Cheers :)

1. What is aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics is the study of how air moves around objects, such as airplanes, cars, and even animals. It involves the principles of fluid dynamics, which are the laws that govern the behavior of gases and liquids.

2. Why is aerodynamics important?

Aerodynamics is important for a variety of reasons. It helps engineers design more efficient and aerodynamic vehicles, which can improve fuel economy and reduce emissions. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the flight of airplanes and the behavior of wind turbines.

3. How do you calculate aerodynamic forces?

Aerodynamic forces, such as lift and drag, can be calculated using mathematical equations based on the shape of the object and the properties of the surrounding air. These calculations can be done using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software or through wind tunnel experiments.

4. What are some real-world applications of aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics has many real-world applications, including aircraft design, automobile design, sports equipment design, and wind energy. It is also used in the design of buildings to reduce wind loads and improve energy efficiency.

5. What are the different types of aerodynamics?

There are several different types of aerodynamics, including subsonic aerodynamics (for speeds below the speed of sound), supersonic aerodynamics (for speeds above the speed of sound), and hypersonic aerodynamics (for speeds much greater than the speed of sound). Each type of aerodynamics has its own unique set of principles and equations.