Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting out with Aerodynamics?

1. Jan 13, 2005 #1
    First off, sorry if this is the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Secondly, this will be just an interest because I've already applied to and chosen by university degree courses so I'm not considering a career in aerodynamics.

I want to start out with just understanding the concept of it. That's pretty much it really! It's one of those things where I look at a race car and think "Man! I'd love to know how they made that so sleek and aerodynamic" and I'm sure there's some mind-boggling maths/physics knowledge that goes into it and even though I know nothing about it - it intrigues me greatly :uhh:

I am a physics student so I don't think it'll be too difficult a concept for me to grasp and I feel my knowledge in physics will compliment this subject. Does anyone know any good books and/or websites where I can get started?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Urrrrrm Frank M White - Fluid Mechanics (ISBN 0072281928) isn't a bad place to start!
  4. Jan 13, 2005 #3
    This one?
  5. Jan 13, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

6. Jan 13, 2005 #5
  7. Jan 13, 2005 #6
    IMHO... the best book on aerodynamics... not just from an air vehicle perspective (as the title may imply). The first few chapters really cover the basics as good as any text I've ever seen. (And as an Aero Eng I've read PLENTY.)

Introduction to Flight
    by John D. Anderson
    ISBN: 007109282X

8. Jan 14, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll second LunchBox's suggestion.

That book was used to teach my sophomore level intro to aerodynamics class and is very good at presenting the basics.

For a slightly more advanced look, I'll recommend "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by the same author.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  9. Jan 14, 2005 #8

Staff: Mentor

I think that's the one I started with too -- probably still in my parents' basement somewhere. Great book.
  10. Jan 14, 2005 #9
    Great info lads.

Cheers :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?