Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting porgramming

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    Ok i just thought of teaching myself programming through net but i think its a bit tough - i need a good book!
    I need a book that starts with - "What is programming". I have only studied physics chemistry maths before and have no knowledge of programming. I know a bit of computer - that every 21st century person knows.
    So looking at my knowledge recommend me a book that starts with the very basic of programming(and preferably teaches C language)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2012 #2
    This book looks good and it doesn't seem to have any prerequisites. (+ it's free!)
    This book also looks good, although I haven't read it myself.

4. Aug 13, 2012 #3

uart

Science Advisor

Hi jd12345. I've you're having trouble getting into programming have you considered giving Python a try? I think it's nice for learning a first language in that you can do a lot of simple exercises straight from an interactive session.

Here's a really nice online book (title a misnomer) that makes it incredibly easy to get started. http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/intro.html

5. Aug 13, 2012 #4

TheDemx27

Gold Member

I would definantly recommend python as a first language. It is much simpler than c++ and many other languages (hello world is just " print ('Hello World!')" in version 3.2.3 at least), and you really get the feeling of how programming works.

http://www.python.org/download/

Also, watching youtube turorials seemed to be the best way to learn for me but I know there are many good books out there.
    Hope this helps, and happy coding.

6. Aug 13, 2012 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook