Starting Research in Pure Mathematics: Ideas for Self-Study

• MHB
  • Thread starter Barioth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary: In general, the more math you know, the more interesting research projects you can pursue. Do not be discouraged if you don't know everything at first - that's what your professors are there for! :)Best of luck,MathManiac
Barioth
Hi everyone, as of for now I'm gona start my third semester in Pure Mathematic in university

So far I love it, this summer we could postulate to help some of out teacher with their research. It sure did sound interesting altough I had to pass on it since I'm gona take summer school to make it faster.

My question is,
I'm looking for a sub subject in mathematic that I could go in my library buy 1 or 2 book, take the summer to go trough them on my own and then ''TRY'' to do some research on my own. For the fun of it. So what subject would be interesting? Is it too soon to go on and try to do some reseach on my own?

Thanks
Ps Sorry for the grammar.

Physics news on Phys.org
Barioth said:
I'm looking for a sub subject in mathematic that I could go in my library buy 1 or 2 book, take the summer to go trough them on my own and then ''TRY'' to do some research on my own.
I don't look for a particular subject.I just do things that I find interesting and thus I end up in a lot of subjects.

But surely there are many subgroups:group theory,galois theory,number theory,algebra(try to solve cubics,quartics,quintics...etc)

Check google and look up at wiki.

I think you will find the wikilink helpful.

For the fun of it. So what subject would be interesting? Is it too soon to go on and try to do some reseach on my own?

I like algebra,geometry,graph theory,graphs,number theory and recently solving the Rubik's Cube mathematically has been a fascination of mine.

And Try to read "Mathematical Circles"

Sorry for the grammar.

It looks fine to me.Best of luck
Cheers
-mathmaniac

Barioth said:
So what subject would be interesting?

That's probably hard to answer unless being specified which are you interested on. I will suggest trying the conjectures posted on OEIS. There are several sequences in there and several authors have conjectured about some properties of them. Here is one from my personal collection : Is A212266 infinite? Actually, it's most probably is but sieving is not in my subjects of interests.

The conjecture given above is just an example, choose what interests you most.

Hope this helps,
Balarka

Last edited:
Thanks for answering guys, I really appreciate it!

Barioth said:
Hi everyone, as of for now I'm gona start my third semester in Pure Mathematic in university

So far I love it, this summer we could postulate to help some of out teacher with their research. It sure did sound interesting altough I had to pass on it since I'm gona take summer school to make it faster.

My question is,
I'm looking for a sub subject in mathematic that I could go in my library buy 1 or 2 book, take the summer to go trough them on my own and then ''TRY'' to do some research on my own. For the fun of it. So what subject would be interesting? Is it too soon to go on and try to do some reseach on my own?

Thanks
Ps Sorry for the grammar.

Hi Barioth, :)

Welcome to MHB! It might help in reading some undergraduate math journals to get an idea of what you could do and where to start.

1. What is the best way to start self-studying pure mathematics?

The best way to start self-studying pure mathematics is to have a strong foundation in basic mathematics concepts such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. It is also helpful to have a clear understanding of mathematical notation and symbols. Once you have a good grasp of these fundamentals, you can start exploring different areas of pure mathematics that interest you.

2. How do I choose which topics to study in pure mathematics?

When starting research in pure mathematics, it is important to choose topics that align with your interests and goals. You can start by exploring different branches of pure mathematics such as number theory, algebraic geometry, or topology. It is also helpful to read research papers and consult with mentors or professors to gain insight into current and relevant topics in the field.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to start research in pure mathematics?

While having a strong foundation in mathematics is helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of all mathematical concepts before starting research in pure mathematics. It is important to have a basic understanding of mathematical concepts and be willing to learn and apply new concepts as you encounter them in your research.

4. How can I stay motivated while self-studying pure mathematics?

Self-studying pure mathematics can be challenging, so it is important to stay motivated and disciplined. One way to stay motivated is by setting small and achievable goals for yourself. You can also find a study partner or join a study group to stay accountable and discuss challenging concepts. Additionally, taking breaks and rewarding yourself for your progress can also help with motivation.

5. What resources are available for self-studying pure mathematics?

There are many resources available for self-studying pure mathematics, such as textbooks, online lectures, and research papers. Some universities also offer open courseware or online courses in pure mathematics that you can access for free. Additionally, there are various online communities and forums where you can connect with other self-studying mathematicians and seek help or advice.