Tough Semester Ahead: Seeking Advice on Achieving an 85% Average

In summary: Mark: 75%Geometry:This is going to be a tough one, but you can do it. You might struggle with basic concept but you can always work on them during free time. Try to get help from your teacher if you’re having trouble. Marks in Geometry vary a lot, so it really depends on the teacher and the class.Discrete Math:This is another tough one. You might have to study more than the other subjects. You’ll also have to be careful with your time. Make sure you’re not wasting it on facebook, youtube, games, etc. Marks in Discrete Math usually depend on how well you do on the test.
decibel
I am starting school again shortly, and this is the semester that will determine if i get into the university i want or not. The courses i am taking are all grade 12 and consist of Physics, Chemistry, English, Geometry and Discrete Mathematics. This will be a tough semester for me, and i wanted to ask for advice in juggling this, I am lookin for an average of around 85%.
Suggestions welcome thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep your nose to the grind stone! Don't aim for an 85%, aim for 100% and get the best that you can.

I heard a corny quote once

aim for the moon, because even if you miss you will land among the stars

do the best you can and when your done what u come out with is worth more than shooting for an actual number

I also have a hard schedule for my senior year

English 12
Computer Electronics
Team Sports
Adv Debate/Forensics
--travel to math and science center (so all bellow accelerated classes )
Mentorship-- Building Spectrometer, automating it, writing software for it, stablizing it maybe some work with particle accelerator
Advance Physics Year 2
BC Calculus
Evolution of Scientific Thought
Bio-Ethics
Research Team-- What is the electronic nature of the pyrimdine ring in the compound of minoxidil (roughly)

Plus i have varsity soccer and college apps to fill out
speaking of which i should be getting home

Study your butt off. I'm in my last term of school too, doing similar subjects as you (Swap discrete maths for applicable maths, and geometry for Interactive media (Very easy subject)). The only advice I can offer you is work like hell, and spend all your free time on physics forums, because they're fun. :biggrin:

Take lots of notes in class. The majority of exam questions will come directly from your lectures. Also, try to start on your homework as soon as possible after class, especially the 'tough' classes. The lecture will still be fresh in your mind and the homework will help reinforce the important points.

thanks guys, i really dislike when people intimidate me by saying "oh this class is REALLY HARD, your not going to do well" and blah blah blah, it really does effect me going into the class.

Also make sure to set aside some leisure time on the weekends or even during the week to hang out with friends or do something you enjoy. I made the mistake of locking myself in my room two quarters ago and studying around the clock until I almost reached a mental breakdown!

Well, haven taken all of the classes you mentioned except for the Geo & Discreet (Grade 12, Ontario new curriculum I’m assuming… BTW, no Calculus?) here’s my experience, though it always depends on the teacher. I’ll tell you my mark in the class so you can decide whether or not to take any advice from me.

Physics:

Absolutely fun and you’ll learn a lot. Do as much homework as it takes you to understand how to do things. Memorize the formulas but moreover, remember the reasons behind the formulas and how to derive some of them yourself. That’s a problem with some people; they’ll forget the formula and just give up. Make sure you’re thorough and label things neatly and accurately. But have fun and make the most of it. Grade 12 physics was probably the best class I’ve ever had. Mark: 93%

Chemistry:

Oh chem., chem., chem…. Where to begin? A lot of focus will be on organic chemistry, nomenclature and properties of organic molecular structures. SOOO many labs. Lot’s of equilibrium and rates of reaction work. Be thorough with your labs. Study and study hard. Wear eye protection but don’t where goggles right before picture day or else you’ll have a nice goggle impression on your face when you go and get pictures done. LoL. I hated grade 11 chem. Mark: 63% ouch, I learned my lesson.

English:

It’s Hamlet time! And maybe A Man For All Seasons and Fifth Business depending on your teacher and school. The final assignment from my school was to read a book from a list and then write an in-class essay for a few days about a topic the teacher picks. The way to go about English class is really easy to sort of ‘fake’ your way through. I don’t mean cheating or being not paying attention or anything. But if you’re being bogged down by physics, chem. and math, English isn’t really a number one priority. For book reports and essays, just learn a few key points on the book and a brief summery. Don’t go out and buy those stupid guides, they’re just a waste of money and they’re usually crap. Skim the book. Read enough for you to know what it’s about and then be very thorough on your essays. Cite, and cite a lot! But make sure they’re useful citations… anyway, good luck. English is pretty fun. Try to get debates going. Mark: 80%

1. How can I improve my study habits to achieve an 85% average?

To improve your study habits, it is important to create a study schedule and stick to it. Make sure to set aside dedicated time for studying each day, and don't procrastinate. Also, try to find a quiet and distraction-free environment to study in. Practice active studying techniques, such as summarizing and note-taking, to help retain information better. Lastly, make sure to get enough rest and stay organized.

2. What resources are available to help me achieve an 85% average?

There are many resources available to help you achieve your academic goals. Your school may have tutoring services, study groups, or academic advisors that can provide guidance and support. You can also utilize online resources such as study guides, practice exams, and educational websites. Additionally, don't be afraid to reach out to your professors for help or clarification on any course material.

3. How can I manage my time effectively to balance a tough semester?

To manage your time effectively, start by prioritizing your tasks and assignments. Make a list of all your upcoming deadlines and divide your time accordingly. It may also be helpful to break larger tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks. Don't forget to schedule breaks and self-care time to avoid burnout. Remember, it's okay to say no to additional commitments if it interferes with your academic responsibilities.

4. What should I do if I am struggling to understand course material?

If you are struggling to understand course material, don't hesitate to seek help. Talk to your professor or TA for clarification or additional resources. You can also form study groups with classmates to discuss difficult concepts and learn from each other. Make use of online resources, such as educational videos and articles, to supplement your learning. Remember, everyone learns differently, so don't be afraid to try different methods until you find what works best for you.

5. How can I stay motivated throughout a tough semester?

Staying motivated can be challenging, especially during a tough semester. It can be helpful to set specific and achievable goals for yourself. Reward yourself for meeting these goals to stay motivated. Surround yourself with positive and supportive people who can encourage and motivate you. Lastly, remember the bigger picture and why you are working hard. Keeping your end goal in mind can help you stay motivated and focused.