Starting Torque Advice: 52.5 Kg m^2 at 230RPM

• Thread starter barvas11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, starting torque is the amount of rotational force needed to start a machine or motor. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia by the angular velocity in radians per second. Factors that affect starting torque include load size and weight, motor type, and power supply voltage and frequency. To increase starting torque, one can use a larger motor, increase the power supply, or use a gear system. However, it is important to carefully consider the required starting torque for an application as excessive torque can cause strain and premature wear on components.
barvas11
Hi Guys,
Could you advice on the minimum starting torque of the motor?

Moment of Inertia of the 1200mm dia cylinder is 52.5 Kg m^2
The cylinder is run by wheel that has 38mm diameter and runs at 230RMP

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the cylinder attached to the wheel? In that case, it's the two moments of inertia added together. If one is driving the other (i.e. the wheel-cylinder interaction is like a gear system), it gets a bit more complicated, and since it's been a while since I had to do a system dynamics problem, I can't give an exact answer.

1. What is starting torque and why is it important?

Starting torque is the amount of rotational force required to start a machine or motor. It is important because it determines the ability of a motor to overcome inertia and begin the rotation process.

2. How is starting torque calculated?

Starting torque is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (52.5 Kg m^2) by the angular velocity (230RPM) in radians per second.

3. What factors affect starting torque?

The factors that affect starting torque include the size and weight of the load, the type of motor, and the voltage and frequency of the power supply.

4. How can I increase starting torque?

There are several ways to increase starting torque, such as using a larger motor, increasing the voltage or frequency of the power supply, or using a gear system to reduce the load on the motor.

5. Can starting torque be too high?

Yes, starting torque can be too high for certain applications. It can cause excessive strain on the motor and other components, leading to premature wear and failure. It is important to carefully consider the required starting torque for a specific application to avoid these issues.