Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting using mathematica 5.2

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    ive just started using mathematica from a server of my university (citrix), according to every tutorial of mathematica i should be getting at the prompt window, a line with In1:= but i dont see such a line.
    and another thing, ive just started with basic arithematic operations, and it states that in order to see the output of say '1+1' i should press after typing '1+1' shift+enter, but it doesnt give any output.
    how to reconcile this?

thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You won't see the In1 until you evaluate the line, i.e. <SHIFT>-ENTER. Then You will see the In1 and OUT1 line markers.

There is an option to turn the cell labels of/on (ShowCellLabel). Look it up in the on-line help (a great resource). Perhaps you need to turn them on.

Did the cell get evaluated?

4. Apr 22, 2007 #3
    i dont know really, i typed '1+1' (without '_') and then pressed shift+enter, and then the black line appeared i guess it bacause it passes to the next line.
    anyway, the showcelllabel is it a command should i type it or what exactly?
    i looked at it in the help browser but didnt understand how to check on it.
    anyway, i checked in the cell properties and the cell is open,editable and evautable.

5. Apr 22, 2007 #4
    ok it works now, apparently i should have chosen at kernel-notebook kernel-local.

6. Apr 22, 2007 #5
    i have a few questions im now using the tutorial here:
    http://documents.wolfram.com/v4/MainBook/1.1.7.html
    the special keys to enter input there im having difficulty using for example this example of theirs:
    N[esc p esc ctrl{^]2 ctrl{ctrl-space] ctrl{/]6ctrl{ctrl-space]]
    now the esc is okay, but with the control should i press with one stroke or one continuous stroke?
    thanks.

7. Apr 22, 2007 #6
    i have a few questions im now using the tutorial here:
    http://documents.wolfram.com/v4/MainBook/1.1.7.html
    the special keys to enter input there im having difficulty using for example this example of theirs:
    N[esc p esc ctrl{^]2 ctrl{ctrl-space] ctrl{/]6ctrl{ctrl-space]]
    now the esc is okay, but with the control should i press with one stroke or one continuous stroke?
    thanks.

8. Apr 22, 2007 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

For the esc characters, it is sequential. Howver, when you are doing the control--- you do both keys at the same time.

9. Apr 23, 2007 #8
    the problem is how exactly to do it? i know it's funny but i need something like five fingers to do this.
    it looks stupid to me to do this, but still it's good to know it.
    the art of typing (-:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?