Windows XP Home: Fixing MSN Explorer Popup on Startup

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
In summary: Spybot can help with that, too.In summary, spybot found spyware on my computer and I will be cleaning it out.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Whenever I log on to windows after booting up my computer nowadays, A window pops up. It's a folder containting the item "MSN Explorer" (with the butterfly icon). I have no idea what this is and why it appears on startup. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition. Any thoughts?

Computer science news on Phys.org
cepheid said:
Whenever I log on to windows after booting up my computer nowadays, A window pops up. It's a folder containting the item "MSN Explorer" (with the butterfly icon). I have no idea what this is and why it appears on startup. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition. Any thoughts?
Check your Startup folder on your Start menu. If there's nothing unusual there, download Spybot from http://www.safer-networking.org and use the Advanced view to get to Tools>Startup to see whether it is a startup string hidden in the registry. Also use Spybot to scan for spyware.

Last edited:
Nothing in the startup folder except a flag icon labelled "Microsoft Office". I'm not even sure why it is there, since no part of Microsoft Office actually activates upon startup! :confused:

Thanks for the additional advice RE spybot. I already have spybot, but was not too well-versed in it's advanced features. I have also been lax lately about cleaning out my comp (which is very bad). I'll get right on that...

Sounds like a pop-up is activated.

Put the cursor over the pop-up, click right-mouse button, and select properties to see where it is located.

You might also want to go into IE and increase security level settings and select options that ask you for approval rather than using automatic.

I ran spybot and cleaned out my comp. I tried looking the tools section unders system startup, but most of the applications there looked legit, and none looked similar to what I am seeing come up. I don't think it is a pop up per se. It is an actual file folder with a single shortcut to an executable application inside. (MSN Explorer 6). This is what that program is:

"C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn6.exe"

But as to why that particular window opens up at start up, I have no idea. :frown:

It could be that the link has been activated in the Windows startup sequence, and that could have been done with a setting in the registry file, or one of programs in C:\WinNT/Win2K/Windows folders (depending on which version of Windows).

You could search the registry file (using regedit) and look for "msn6.exe". But don't delete anything unless you are sure about what you are doing.

Lots of spyware install registry keys, and the only way to completely uninstall them is to remove the registry keys (as well as dll's, etc.).

1. Why am I getting a popup for MSN Explorer every time I start up my Windows XP Home computer?

This is likely due to a setting within MSN Explorer that is causing the program to automatically open on startup. You can disable this by going into the MSN Explorer options and unchecking the box for "Open MSN Explorer when Windows starts".

2. How do I access the MSN Explorer options?

To access the MSN Explorer options, open MSN Explorer and click on the "Tools" menu. From there, select "Options" and a new window will open with various settings and preferences for MSN Explorer.

3. Is there a way to permanently disable the MSN Explorer popup on startup?

Yes, you can permanently disable the MSN Explorer popup on startup by going into the MSN Explorer options and unchecking the box for "Open MSN Explorer when Windows starts". This will prevent MSN Explorer from automatically opening every time you start your computer.

4. Can I still use MSN Explorer even if I disable the popup on startup?

Yes, you can still use MSN Explorer even if you disable the popup on startup. Disabling the popup will only prevent MSN Explorer from automatically opening when you start your computer, but you can still open the program manually whenever you want to use it.

5. Will disabling the MSN Explorer popup on startup affect any other programs or settings on my computer?

No, disabling the MSN Explorer popup on startup will not affect any other programs or settings on your computer. It will only prevent MSN Explorer from automatically opening when you start your computer, but all other programs and settings will remain unchanged.